cooking in the truck

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by beezle, Jun 19, 2007.

1. trukr

trukr Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Winnipeg
    $10 rice cooker FTW.
    Canned meat, frozen veggies and some fresh rice makes for a decent meal.
    Canned fruits for dessert.

Eventually I'd like to start canning my own meals on my downtime.
    If I can get a decent meal to keep in a canning jar for 3 weeks, that would be perfect.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    You know, this is a good idea. We have a steamer that has two layers and a little bowl. You could certainly use it to cook a whole meal.

I use it to "boil" eggs, since ours are fresh from the chicken, and this makes them easier to peel when fresh. :biggrin_25525:

4. GreyHound

GreyHound Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2013
    What kind of microwave would you guys recommend to use on a cassadia and a 1000 watt inverter?

5. tcwestby

tcwestby Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Marysville, WA
    Frankly I just bought one that fit and was under 1000w. I got mine at COSTCO but don't remember the brand or model. it works great the only thing is to take out the revolving plate while rolling otherwise the rattling will drive you bonkers.

Charlami Thanks this.
  6. GreyHound

GreyHound Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2013
    LMAO. Thanks driver :yes2557:

7. bigdog4981

bigdog4981 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2013
    What is the most economical solution to warming up a can of soup or cooking ramen. I eat out most nights, but the occasional getting stuck somewhere, makes it hard. I have a big inverter but a tiny light weight truck, don't want a microwave if I can avoid it. This is maybe once a week or so. I've put the can in front of the bunk heater for 30 minutes before, makes it Luke warm and edible.

8. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    The 12volt Burton cooker works very well. I gave the cheaper RoadPro version and it works just fine too.

9. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    Well it depends on your forethought and type if motor. On my Mercedes I can rest a can of soup or chili between the EGR cooler and valve cover for about an hour while driving for a nicely warmed up meal.
    On a CAT, you can rest it between the block and oil cooler. That works very well. Not sure about the ISX but I'm sure there is someplace in there as well.

Or a Burton butane stove and a 2qt. pan.

10. bigdog4981

bigdog4981 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Can I set my can in the Burton oven with some water in the pan, and heat the soup in the water? Saves clean up and I can toss the old can.

11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That's not a bad idea, and after your soup is heated you have hot water for a nice cup of coffee or tea.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.