cooking in the truck

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by beezle, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Gypsy Pirate

Gypsy Pirate Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Moravia, New York
    Ok, Thanks guys.....I think.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Just be downwind when you let go with that gas, eh? :biggrin_25521:

4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

its God's Frabreeze!:biggrin_2559:

American Trucker

5. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I'm sure it's in these 74 pages, but I've read about the RoadPro - 12-Volt Oven and Pizza Maker. Here's what one website says:

Roadpro Roadpro Rpsc-900 12v Portable Oven And Pizza Maker. Bake up a slice no matter where your active life takes you. This handy little oven is great for professional drivers as well as campers and boaters and anyone else on the go. Plug our pizza oven into in any 12-volt lighter/power socket and you are ready to go.

Dual heating elements cook or warm your food from the top and bottom for thorough heating and piping hot pizza, quesadillas, sandwiches and more. You will never have to wait in those fast-food drive-thrush again. When you are done, use the sturdy folding carry handle to stash it out of the way.

6. levi39

levi39 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    live oak,fl.
    just stop at wallmart and buy what you can eat in a day.that way u don't have to worry about spending money on the cooling or cooking in the truck. a whole roast chicken is less than $5.00 and you can eat two meals from it then give the rest to some lucky animal. also get some canned goods that wont spoil. buy the time you cook something in the truck and deal with clean up plus the cost of the food it just ain't worth the trouble and hassel. turning the wheels instead of trying to be a chef will be a plus and you will be $$$ ahead and your beady eyed dispatcher will be happy too.

Nycmex77 Thanks this.
  7. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    What Walmart are you buying from? Ok, I *suppose* $4.98 is less than $5, but by the time you add tax it's more than $5. You eat canned goods cold? YUCK. It may not be worth the trouble to you, but some people think it is. There are many GREAT ways to cook on the road, if you take the time to learn. Not to mention, that chicken, and canned food? Not the greatest for your health in the long run. TONS of sodium, which your heart doesn't need, especially since you are in what is, essentially, a sedentary job. With companies and DoT cracking down on driver's health, it's in their best interests to learn how to eat healthy and cook healthy on the road.

Not to mention, there isn't always a Wal-Mart handy every day.

kd5icr and DenaliDad Thank this.
  8. zebcohobo

zebcohobo Vincent Van Gopher

Jul 19, 2010
    Redbank,SC
    I'm a big fan of dried fruit. I also make my own vension jerky which is very low in fat. If you don't have a ready supply of venison, it's very easy to make your own beef jerky in the oven at home, if you don't have a dehydrator. Convienence foods are almost always high in sodium. It can be a challenge to eat healthy on the road. Especially when it's just so much quicker and easier to just hit the buffet or the fast food. Just cutting back to eating out 1 day a week and getting water instead of soda will make a huge difference.

9. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Not saying it isn't a challenge. I am saying that your health will be better. A large container of organic greens is the same $4.98 at W/M. Add to that a sliced piece of fruit, and a sliced chicken breast that you can cook up in 7 minutes? Or, if you have a fridge, cook a bunch at one time ... and you are set. Add some nuts, and the dressing of your choice (this is where you can kill this whole thing). And viola, great meal with a fair amount of fiber for that same $5. Depending on the cost of chicken and the fruit you choose. It's not rocket science. There are ways to do it. And 95% of it can be done while you are doing something else. (Also, it's up to me to come up w/ healthy, delicious, nutritious meals that JCW can put together while he's out, with the tools he has available. 90% of the work is actually in planning. The cooking is the easy part.

Rattlebunny, zebcohobo and shoemaker Thank this.
  10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    What do you think they do with the meat that is about to expire?

They cook it up and sell it as a deli item. I don't know about you, but I don't like dead samonela and botchulism, lol. Canned goods are loaded with double the sodium. Elizabeth, I'm coming! :) You can't spend that money in heaven.

Drivers face enough challenges sitting in that seat all day. They can atleast eat healthy. The only way to do that is to cook from scratch and control what you eat.

denalidad, Roadpro products are as good as paper plates. They don't last very long.

DragonTamerBrat and zebcohobo Thank this.
  11. levi39

levi39 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    live oak,fl.
    I would hope the samonela is dead! I don't believe the bit about wallmart's deli products. Compaired to whats in our food today, I think a little sodium is the least of your worries. I believe I can find a wallmart close by anywhere in the USA. Too many caleries and too little exercise is the larger problem with Truckers, if you don't believe me just look at what climbs out of the driver's seats at the truck stops. A good jog around a wallmart parking lot a couple of times a day would be time well spent. Healthy too! I'm fully aware of the challenges while sitting in that driver seat. Take care now, and Happy trails! Levi39.:biggrin_25522:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.