cooking in the truck

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by beezle, Jun 19, 2007.

1. cpttuttle

cpttuttle Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    altoona,pa
    .mine was always good for at least 2 days,closer to 3 days,but your milage may vary.but if you want real cooling,i bought a couple of portable ac/dc fridge freezers.the ones i got where 40 qt.i use one as a fridge,one as a freezer.they run about $400.00 per,with free shipping from compact appliance dot com.i don't work for them or get any kickbacks,just a satisfied customer.i've had mine for about 5 years.and still going strong.

1nonly Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Spooner

Spooner Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Colorado Springs,Colorado
    I'm about ready to fire up my truck and make me a grill cheese on my electric burner. Im also going to use my microwave for some soup.

4. mydognick

mydognick Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2011
    qick answer , BURTON stove to go, 24.00. coleman 36 qt cooler or a smaller 16qt if running solo 60.00 microwave to your inverter wal-mart 45.00 dont for get aluminum foil and foil throwaay loaf pans. you will pay for this in about a week not counting tips .cook book comes with little lunch box heater and works great. plan ahead and give it about an hour. truck stops have all this stuff includeing coffee pots , all kinds of stuff . DO NOT LEAVE PLUGGED IN WHILE SLEEPING AS IT CAN BE A FIRE HAZZARD,OR PLUGGED IN WITH TRUCK OFF THE COOLER WILL DRAIN THE BATTERRIES DOWN IN A FEW HOURS.

5. Soundhound

Soundhound Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I leave my Coleman cooler plugged in 24/7 and never have problems with it killing the truck batteries.

6. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Some trucks also come with the ICON system that will monitor the battery level, and will start the engine when the level gets low... We have a cooler (small) between the seats so the driver can grab stuff, and a fridge in the back for the other stuff. There is two of us, so a bit more food on board than for a solo. We also use a crock pot, Burton oven and a microwave... I'm thinking of getting a 'George Forman' type grill to add to our 'kitchen' :)

7. Spooner

Spooner Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Colorado Springs,Colorado
    I have a dorm size fridge and a koolatron in the truck and I have no problems. Just to let you know peterbilts have a built in switch that if batteries run low the switch will shutdown accessories so you will be able to start your truck. Oh and GO Broncos! It's Tebow time.

8. paulplj2002

paulplj2002 Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I do find that truck stops $$$ alot, I stock up on pop,water, canned foods, cookies,soups,ect b4 i go out. most of the time you can find a walmart that you can restock when out on the road. it saves alot of cash. My truck has a 1200w inverter and a APU so I also have a frige. Its not 12v but thats what I use inverter for when trucks not running i use apu for heat/ac and power. I also have 19'' TV, DVD player, laptop pc, coffee pot, and a mini crock pot. I eat out about 2 to 3 times a wk. Staying away fr fast food and eating in your truck not only saves alot of cash but its also alot better for you. fast food will put on the weight and bump up your blood psi fast. Truck drivers get very little excerise. this helps cut cost and is better for you.

mistwig Thanks this.
  9. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    speak for yourself- I get plenty of exercise. :biggrin_25525:

10. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    Me too.. Getting in and out of the truck checking with shippers and receivers about my load every 15 minutes is a workout

11. DUJO

DUJO Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Kaufman, Texas
    RIVAL makes a good crockpot. Got it at wally-world for $49. Has two clasps on it to secure the lid..... no spills!

On another note, its hard to get work done when you're smelling roast, taters and carrots all day!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.