cooking out on the road

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by angelique, Jul 29, 2013.

1. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    I have a 12 V cooler, microwave, small George Foreman, Lunch Box Oven, Toaster, Egg cooker, and a charcoal Grill on the truck. I don't go hungry at all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. numbers

numbers Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    Trainer made what he calls a shooter's sandwich for us the other day

Took one of those crusty round loafs of bread you can get in the walmart bakery
    cut the top of it off and hollowed it out.
    lined the hollowed out loaf with horseradish and dijon mustard
    put some provolone cheese in the bottom
    then put in some cooked mushrooms and onions
    then took 2 medium sized sirloin steaks cooked medium rare and layered those on top
    put the lid back on
    covered in tinfoil
    placed into a brown paper bag
    placed it on floor of sleeper (in the bag of course and foil) and then took a 10 lb weight (he keeps a dumbell set in his truck) and set the weight on top of the sandwich
    let the weight sit on it for the next 6-6.5 hours
    unwraps sandwich cut it into 8th's serve with some chips

by far the best meal i've had out here, had enough leftovers for the next 2 days
    hardest part was watching him cook it up and then making me wait almost 7 hours to eat it

here is another form of it, not exactly what he made, but very very similar Shooter's Sandwich

NDBADLANDS, NavigatorWife and roadlt Thank this.
  4. texasbigbird54

texasbigbird54 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    Wolfyinc, I bet your neighbors in the truck stop have mouths watering at the aromas emanating from your truck. :biggrin_2559:

I was shopping in Walmart today, and noticed for the first time Tyson has a canned grilled chicken. I had never noticed it before. I bet that would suffice for the chicken in your recipe I quoted if lacking the actual charcoal girll. I want to try this recipe out for sure.

5. Redbone311

Redbone311 Light Load Member

May 4, 2013
    CT
    You buy food at flea markets?????? eewwwwww !!

6. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    my wife buys the canned chicken sometimes and uses it in casseroles, pastas etc, its not a bad product especially when you want to save time. In every case fresh of anything is always better but you do what you can out there. Its not always easy keeping fresh products on a truck, I dont always have stuff to cook which is why I also keep a supply of canned goods, cups of noodles, oatmeal etc.

Sometimes I miss being an Executive Chef but I hate working for others who want to dictate what talents I use and dont use, I always thought of opening my own place but dont have the money or credit for that these days. I have thought about it a lot being on the road, if I was to win the lottery or come into a large amount of money somehow I would open some truck stops in places where there should be one, buy enough land to offer acres of parking with plenty of pull through spots, higher end restaurants in them but still affordable. Also offer a small market for fresh foods, I have only seen a couple truck stops on the east coast that had actual groceries and stuff.
    I thought it would be awesome if there was a way to implement a truck drive thru for food too, that one would be tougher to pull off though.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. angelique

angelique Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Recipe for breakfast- microwave or toaster oven
    Walmart 1 can of buttermilk biscuits, 1 pound of Jimmy Dean sausage,1 cup shredded mozzarella,1 cup shredded cheddar or substitute for Mexican cheese, 6 eggs or egg substitute, scrambled, 3\4 cup of milk-can buy pint size or 16 oz., salt and pepper to taste, optionial hot sauce or catsup of choice.
    Nuke 12-20 mins microwave depending on wattage or 425 degrees toaster oven use foil disposable tin meat loaf pan or small pan.
    Makes up to 4 pans worth and 7 days serving size

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. angelique

angelique Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Sounds awesome. ..sniffles makes me cry.I hope it tasted good.

9. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL

I looked up the link they provided for the website and it looks good, the only thing I don't think I could sit and wait 6 hrs for it either.

I like croissants, split and fried or toasted with cook portabella mushrooms that are sauteed and provolone or cheddar cheese with butter. No it's not great having all the butter and cheese, but oh well.

10. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    yeah butter is not good but it makes everything taste so great lol

I was trained in classic French cuisine in which I got my degree, a lot of that food is "add more butter, add more cream!!" lol, oh and the French love salt

speaking of French cuisine here is a recipe for Coq Au Vin, its traditionally rooster cooked in burgandy wine etc but using chicken is perfectly fine, I will copy paste from a site I found a recipe that looks really close to the traditional recipe, do this at home since having wine and stuff in your truck might get you in trouble...
    I have only made it a couple times since Culinary school but its so #### good.

[TABLE="width: 88%, align: center"]
    [TR="bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]Ingredients[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]Ideally a rooster, or 1 or 2 chickens (1.5kg, 3.5 lb), cut into 8 pieces or more
    1/2 bottle of full-body Burgundy red wine (or Cotes du Rhone)
    6 bacon slices (5 oz), diced
    0.5 lb (250g) button mushrooms
    A dozen small white onions
    2-3 cloves of garlic, mashed
    2 carrots, peeled and quartered
    Sunflower oil, unsalted butter
    Bouquet of herbs: 2 sprigs of thyme and 1 bay leaf, tied all together with string
    Parsley
    Salt and pepper

If cooking the same day, add:
    1/4 cup of cognac or brandy

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Coq au Vin Recipe serve 6
    Step 1: A day in advance, clean and cut the rooster/chicken in 8 pieces or more. Pour half a bottle of red Burgundy wine over.
    Step 2: Add the small white onions, the quartered peeled carrots and the herbs. Cover and put in the fridge.
    Step 3: The next day, remove and drain the chicken and vegetables. Put the wine aside for later use.
    Step 4: Brown the chicken pieces with oil in a skillet. Remove the chicken. Using the same skillet, add garlic to the vegetables and heat for a couple of minutes
    Step 5: Put the chicken and the vegetables in a large sauce pan. Pour the wine and add salt and pepper
    Step 6: Bring to a boil at moderate heat.
    Step 7: Cover and cook at low heat for 1 or 2 hours
    Step 8: Heat bacon, onion and mushrooms in a skillet until brown (10 minutes)
    Step 9: When the chicken is ready, add bacon, onion and mushrooms in the pan, cook and stir for 2 or 3 minutes. Taste and correct the seasoning,
    Step 10: Add parsley to the chicken when finish. Prepare rice or potatoes to serve with Coq au vin.
    Alternate version for cooking the same day:
    In step 5, do not pour the wine in the pan now. Pour instead cognac or brandy over the chicken. Ignite the spirit with a match. Be extra careful the heat is off and your face away. Shake the pan for a few seconds. You can now pour the wine in the pan and follow the recipe as indicated.

Wine suggestion: red Burgundy wine, or Cotes du Rhone red, Morgon

11. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    for those who want to learn how to cut up a chicken the right way here is a video from Gordon Ramsey, a few years back I learnt how to do it better from watching some of his videos, I have seen him do it in like 20 seconds too, takes me 30-45. Buying whole chickens can save you a lot of money in the long run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJSHRSJCn8

I dont recommend doing it in your truck, the cutting boards from cutting up chicken is a little harder to clean and sanitize but you can do it at home and freeze the chicken.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.