cooking with a george foreman

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by tmb0507, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    On the other hand they don't bark and you don't have to take them for a walk. Ideal pets for a trucker.

MysticHZ and Big Don Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    To the OP. I use smaller Foreman and I also use a hibachi grill with charcoal and cook on mh cat walk or deck of my bed.

The forman is great.

I like to do roastbeef and cheese sandwiches and then grill them on the foreman. You can do hamburgers, pork chops, sausages, hot dogs... pretty much if it fits it cooks. Have a grease trap for burgers and sausages. Dawn dish soap and a bottle of water will clean it out pretty easily.

I also have a hotplate and skillet. I buy the premixed pancake batter at walmarts and I do bacon on there as well. I found zapping the bacon for 2 mins in the microwave and the frying them in the pan helps cook them faster.

Truck stop food sucks. Once you start cooking in the truck you'll never want truck stop trash again.

Hurst

4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You know ... this site really should go ahead and add a cooking in the truck forum ... we could share recipes and techniques without it be shot gunned all over the site or buried in one 10 million post thread.

alds Thanks this.
  5. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    • Cooking on a grill and their health problems:
    • Compound released when food cooks in dry heat can lead to weight gain and diabetes

It is regarded as a healthier alternative to frying food.
    But eating grilled and roasted meals could actually increase the risk of obesity and diabetes, research suggests.
    This is because when food is cooked in a dry heat it produces a compound that is linked weight gain and insulin resistance, experts from Mount Sinai university say.

[​IMG]
    George Foreman barbecue may help drain fat - but food cooked in a dry heat could still lead to obesity

The compound - methyl-glyoxal (MG) - is a type of of advanced glycation endproduct (AGE), which have been found to lower the body’s protective mechanisms that control inflammation
    In a study, reported in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, one group of mice was fed a diet high in MG over four generations, while the control group was fed a diet without M.
    The mice that ate the MG started to develop early insulin resistance and increased body fat, whereas the control group did not have either of these conditions.

Professor Helen Vlassara said: 'This was a prolonged but rewarding study showing that a specific AGE compound abundant in foods, within only a few generations in mouse terms, contributes to the increase in weight gain, insulin resistance, and, diabetes, reproducing the pattern seen increasingly in humans over the last decades.
    'These key findings should inform how we understand and prevent the human epidemic of obesity and diabetes.'
    She added: 'The study demonstrates how the prolonged ingestion of seemingly innocuous substances common in human food, such as MG, can reduce defenses and compromise native resistance to metabolic and other diseases.

[​IMG]
    Lean mean grilling machine: Foreman with one of his world-famous cooking devices

'The mouse findings are also quite exciting because they provide us with new tools, not only to study, but to begin taking measures to prevent diabetes, either by suppressing their formation or by blocking their absorption with our food.'
    A recent study by her team showed that a modest cut in foods high in AGEs improved insulin resistance in adults with type 2 diabetes.
    Dr Vlassara said: 'For more than 30 years we have been studying the potential of eliminating harmful AGEs from the body, and now from food, as one way to curb the diabetes epidemic.
    'Thus far, our findings reflect the need for a dramatic departure from standard clinical recommendations, which should now include a reduction in the amount of dry heat and processed foods in the diet.'
    Her team recommend different methods of cooking such as stewing, poaching or steaming in the place of grilled meats. Even George Foreman's grill, which removes the fat from meat as it cooks, could produce the offending compound.

im left to musing about this cooking method: :biggrin_25510: ...... :biggrin_25513:

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yeah, you can always find something published that is telling you that things are bad for you. It doesn't matter what it is, somebody will gain their 15 seconds of fame by publishing that "IT WILL KILL YOU!"

Hell the stress of reading all the crap is what kills people. I even remember one time somebody said something about tobacco use being bad for a person.:biggrin_25523:

7. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    I know Right ! How stupid is that ? Been smoking for years and Im fi..........?

Big Don Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.