Cooking with Gas in Truck ? Yay or Nay ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by BlueThunderr, Apr 6, 2019.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    A one pound cylinder of propane expands to about 8.5 cubic feet of gas. One little spark in the enclosed space of a truck... KABOOM!

Leaking valve, tank seals, fill port... any number of things. It's just not worth it.

If your company won't equip your truck with an inverter, it's time to find a new company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I don't think this damage was caused by small green propane cylinder explosion. . He had big multi use cylinder. Small green cylinder has not enough pressure to explode.

4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    He had a portable stove that was leaking propane. It was the gas that caused the explosion, not the pressure in the cylinder.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Other than the fire risk from being careless as long as you disconnect the propane as soon as you're done it should be no problem.

Opening up both windows some while you're cooking is a must as the open flame will be consuming the oxygen out of the cab if you don't.

6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    My company supplies an APU with a 2000 watt inverter so I’m able to use a electric pressure cooker. I mainly make simple soups with veggies and chicken as it’s easier to clean.

Here’s a link to the pressure cooker. I would get the smaller ones the bigger ones are a PITA to clean and store.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xmsQCb1E803G7

7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    But the unhooked tank could still leak.
    Let’s say you spit on the tank to check for leaks and it isn’t leaking, that’s good.
    But eventually all that saliva acid will cause the tank to leak when you’re not using it and the massive explosion will really surprise you.

Sound right @x1Heavy ?

8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    If you really want to see how big of an explosion those little green propane canisters are capable of making.... Mix a very small amount of tanerite is a very small cellophane package, the tape thus package to the side of a new green canister.

At a distance of no less than 150 yards, 200 or 300 yards would be better, shoot through the tanerite and the canister with a hunting rifle of large enough caliber to penetrate the canister.
    The small amount of tanerite serves as a source of ignition to ignite the propane that will be released from the canister through the bullet hole.

Trust me when I say you will be astonished at the result... If done in the wrong location or time of year it may even result in a visit from the fire department, FBI, or Homeland Security. Not something to be done at your local gun range... Or anywhere within 20 miles of civilization... And definitely best done only when there are large amounts of snow on the ground.

My point is that those little green canisters are deceiving... And can be very, very deadly over a much larger area than you may initially think.

NavigatorWife, x1Heavy and InTooDeep Thank this.
  9. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    I've never heard of the little green bottles with no valve leaking.

The guy that blew himself up was probably hooked up to a stove with the stove valve either leaking or just not shut off all of the way.

Unscrew the little green bottle when you're done and you'll be fine, spit or no spit.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A miniature fuel air bomb.

Awesome. But from 500 yards with a 30-06. I don't think I want to try that on anything but deep snow.

I was hearing Paris destroyed about 25 to 30 apartments in a entire city block after some dummy stored gas on his balcony. Boom.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    If those little green canisters were inherently dangerous you wouldn't be able to buy them at Wal-Mart. Not in today's lawsuit happy environment

dwells40 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.