Coolant issue

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 85COE, Jun 16, 2021.

1. 85COE

85COE Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    Okay, I understand it's nigh-impossible to diagnose an issue without having it in front of you, but I am only looking for speculation. I am not a gear-head (as evidenced by my post history), but I suspect something with this truck.

2015 Int'l ProStar with Cummins Engine -- 566,xxx miles - had a total rebuild around 500k, and a new head put on about 20k miles ago. Was going through coolant then, just not as bad.

drinking coolant - as in, i put 1 1/2 gal in, went 110 miles, truck sat for the weekend, during my PTI, put in another 2 gal. Next day, put in just over a gal, etc. Turbo blew, got it replaced, was still drinking. Noticed a small puddle, went into the shop, had a couple of lines replaced, they pressure tested it, said no leaks.

They (said they) put in 2 gal, and I added about another half. Go home, get stuff ready to head out for the week, then off to get loaded. Shop to my house = 12 miles. My house to pickup = 137 miles. Add a gal at shipper (after sitting for a couple of hours, so engine was cooled down some, but not cold). Start driving. Make it about 140 miles, and stop for the night.

This morning, added in close to a gallon.

Boss is adamant it is something external, but I am not smelling any, there are no puddles, and no smoke from the exhaust.

Also, he told me not to post here inquiring because apparently the internet cannot be trusted. My 40+ year long O/O uncle hasn't answered, so unable to ask him.

I suspect there is an internal issue, but the boss is 100% certain it is not internal.

With what I've told you, if this were to happen to you, what would you think it is?

Rideandrepair and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Aside from the obvious places like in oil/fuel/ etc.. check you air tanks for coolant.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. 85COE

85COE Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    It is not getting into the oil, and none is spitting out of the air tanks. As for getting into the fuel, do you mean into the tanks themselves or into the cylinders?

5. slow pok

slow pok Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2013
    lizela ga
    Egr coolent manifold is cracked. Common

6. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Internally mostly. Did they put in new injectors?

7. 85COE

85COE Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    This I am not sure of. It was rebuilt before I started here

8. 85COE

85COE Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    Where would it be going?

edit: by that i am asking what is happening to the coolant

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Reason for edit: clarification
  9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    this is what you get when you have joe blow doing your work. a real in frame or out frame would have fixed building the engine

10. 85COE

85COE Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    It's my understanding that this mechanic has worked with my boss for years, and used to work on tanks in the army (because that's important enough to tell me?)

Rideandrepair and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  11. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    well his work is showing. i bet same head bolts

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.