Coolant leak exhaust side, D13 Cover plate of some sort

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by blanco, Dec 14, 2014.

1. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    Guy brought in a Volvo truck with Volvo engine and he has a coolant leak from the passenger side (exhaust side). It appears to be a cover of some sort. The coolant filter is also housed in this cover. Looks like major work to remove/replace gasket that is leaking. It is Sunday and I'm just asking the Volvo crowd.

Thx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi blanco, I'm not familiar with Volvo's, but oil coolers seem to take a beating. See if that cover, cover's the oil cooler.

4. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

thinking egr cooler myself but like "semi" retired not sure on a Volvo engine.

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Is ther e anyway u can send me a pic d13 has a plastic coupler right over there where u are describing it's kind of like a male union for two housings prob Bout1.5 inch diameter that breaks and leaks not so hard to change but need oem part

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    guy has a monday am delivery and then coming back to atl. green engines usually go straight to volvo for service.

7. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    What year is the truck? If its leaking by the coolant filter more then likely its the oil cooler cover. They revised the cover and no longer supply gaskets and seals for the original plate. New plate cost about 500ish. I don't remember how many hours they charge for that job.

Hope that helps.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    I'm not sure about the year. The cover apears pretty big. all the way under the turbo area. the guy never came back after his delivery. I love how volvo colored their engines Money Green!!! :D

9. Kakmos

Kakmos Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2018
    I have a problem that sounds similar. I have coolant leaking from somewhere and splashing underneath the starter, also on the side of the oil pan and underneath on the cross member. I have been looking for weeks can't find where it's leaking from. HELP PLS

10. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Your best bet is to clean the areas really good and track down the leak. It could be the DEF heater lines, or the EGR cooler, or even the air compressor coolant lines running around the back of the engine from the driver side. We can't really tell you what it is without being there.

11. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    If it’s leaking over there it’s one of two places egr cooler coupler between block and egr cooler (plastic) and usually break with time or oil cooler gasket which is a lot more expensive to fix either or.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.