Coolant leak exhaust side, D13 Cover plate of some sort

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by blanco, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    On the right side i also had problems with the power steering fluid cooler, it's like a small square plastic black box under davco water separator , hidden inside the frame. I got one frozen cracked in extreme low temps and lose clamps holding coolant steering fluid hoses.
    It's hard to see from above, have to crawl under in front of steer axle with flash light to inspect it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kakmos

Kakmos Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2018
    You are absolutely right. My mechanic thinks it's the oil cooler. He says it's a 14 hour job.
    So how soon should I do the repair, my mechanic is super busy. He says I can keep topping up coolant and I will be fine for now. I do about 700miles a day and I have to top up coolant every day. It usually drops to the add mark every day, it doesn't get completely empty. So should I keep driving for a while before I fix it or could this lead to more problems?

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If it gets too low, your buzzer should sound and it will tell you "Coolant level critically low" on the dash. Just keep an eye on your coolant and oil temperatures. You should be fine to keep topping it off, but eventually you're going to spend more in coolant than it would have cost to do the repair.

5. Kakmos

Kakmos Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Thank you. I appreciate all the help.

6. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    No problem. The other thing to consider is that if you're always adding coolant, you'll never know if you've got problems elsewhere internally. It will mask any other problems that might arise or already exist, like a leaky EGR cooler.

7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    My Volvo had a few coolant leaks when I got it. Replaced radiator first (it was bad) and then replaced water pump and surge tank and several hoses and I've been good since

But......

I strongly recommend getting on Ebay or online somewhere and getting yourself some coolant die and an blacklight flashlight to light it up. I put two of the small bottles in my system after I was sure I had all the leaks fixed (each bottle made for a car-sized cooling system) and now the light lights up any trace of coolant under my hood at night. I can see it around the edges of the hoses, in the tank and anywhere else coolant has splashed/seeped or whatever.

It's been months now but as soon as I smell coolant or notice loss I'll be dumping another bottle in and lighting it up. Saves lots of time and headache and your engine looks like it's bleeding Predator blood. Kinda fun.

Newto Trucking Thanks this.
  8. Kakmos

Kakmos Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2018
    It turns out it's the egr cooler leaking. There's a crack in the welding. I'm looking at a $4000 job.
    I will report back once the job is done and let you guys know if the problem is fixed.

KB3MMX and Newto Trucking Thank this.
  9. biofumes

biofumes Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2009
    California
    Today I had the same exact issue, starter is wet, and noticed it coming down the oil pan. The SOB, has kept me busy looking for that leak, after reading all this, it sounds like its going to be oil cooler. We have to start taking it apart to find it. But this really take 14 hours to complete?

10. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    its is a long process considering turbo and all of the passager side has to come out highly suggest replacing the oil cooler cover as well when replacing gasket and also need to check there is special tools to push the cover back in place since there is a good size square grommet in front and you have to get creative to get it back in place some heel bars work well but it is a pain the the ##* hate doing this everytime i have to

KB3MMX, biofumes and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.