copilot gps for trucks. Does it work?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by tallguy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Phantom 69

Phantom 69 Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    SC
    Yep..Nothing beats a Rand McNally map..Customer phone#,pen and a pad..Or a Qualcomm with directions in the system..:biggrin_25520:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    It works and it works well. The problem is, sometimes it doesn't but you have no idea when that time will come, which is why you must call the customer, utilize google maps or similar and if you have one, a local map of city streets.

Many drivers talk about the atlas as if it's some sort of magic bullet. Sorry, but the motor carrier's atlas isn't going to dial you into a local destination or give low bridge clearances on local roads. It is used for long routes and main truck routes in and out of cities. Also the mapping system is basically the same as the atlas so it's almost like having an electronic version of a mcra anyways.

As with any gps, if you're in a big city with roads on top of one another, it becomes useless (chicago for example). The good thing about gps is that once you follow customer directions in, it will adjust to that route. If you're driving at night, it's extremely helpful letting you know when your street is coming up.

You cannot rely on it 100% but there have been many times where it took me from dock to dock without missing a beat. You can see how many miles you're getting shorted on every trip too because when it's accurate, it's dead on.

The main thing I dislike about it is that you can't update the map, and quite frankly, it is out of date.

4. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    I have been using it for a few months now and have found it to work great. I still pay attention to signs and check my map when in the North East but it has not steered me wrong yet.

5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    If the current develpoment schedule does not slip, ALK will be releasing the next version in the fall. They release a new one every 12 - 18 months and it is due now. I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to download the new maps periodically but their philosophy has traditionally to update the whole program rather than provide a map update that plugs into your current version. We have been feeding back addresses, roads, and feature requests the entire time that version 11 as been out so we are keeping our fingers crossed. I have seen the new maps so at least I can tell you that they are a vast improvement.

6. Crainial

Crainial Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2007
    USA
    CoPilot 9 and 11 WILL work with Windows 7 64bit, but you need to get the Professional version and install Windows XP mode for it. I have been using it for a week now with both bluetooth and usb gps receivers and works really well. It basically runs a version of XP on top of 7, but hey it works.

7. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    A further point of clarification on this. You are absolutely correct that Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate editions will run basically any program that you could run on XP including CoPilot - IF YOUR PROCESSOR SUPPORTS VIRTUALIZATION. (VT) Virtualization technology is required for XP mode to work. Having installed CoPilot and other programs onto driver's Windows 7 computers recently, we have found that about half of those who had Win7 Pro actually had a processor that supported VT. If you do a search for processors that support VT or go to the manufacturer of your laptop to check, you can know for sure if your system will support XP Mode.

8. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I got CoPilot Truck Laptop 9 a while back, and am using it on a Vista 32 bit laptop. No compatibility problems whatsoever. Unfortunately it doesn't know squat about Canadian addresses, and occasionally screws up in larger urban centers, like telling you that it's exit 231B instead of A, or that you're turning onto I-XX North when it's really West. It gets confused quite easily in NYC, routing me more than 15 milesout of my way once when there was a far more direct route.

9. red_eye

red_eye Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    belpre, ohio
    I have copilot 8..worked great till I got a new laptop with windows 7. as long as you dont use the gps it runs.. but if you use gps.. it craps out. lol. anyone want it lol.. you can have it. if you have xp it runs fine.

10. dmag

dmag Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    charlotte,nc
    2300 Raddant rd. Aurora IL. 60502
    If copilot can find the street it works good. The above address I had to go to streets and trips and find the street it run off of?
    This is a big problem with not updating the maps. I bought the new upgrade it still could not find the streets.
    My 2cent it is crap!

11. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I checked this address out. You are correct that you can't enter it in version 11 or in the PCM Navigator using the "Destination / Address" method. It does show up on the map when I zoomed in there so was able to enter and navigate correctly to their location using the "click on map" method.

I sent this info into the map-makers for addition into the next revision (in case you didn't) so that it gets added.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.