corona virus...this is no joke!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by harley17985, Mar 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Well, the good comes with the bad and the bad comes with the good , that is for sure .
    Probably this is a good time for drivers to think a little bit more deeper and understand how valuable you are. Probably this is a good time to go home and re-evaluate your career .
    May be this is a good time to let your boss know who is more valuable in your company .
    And I say this is a good time for
    You as a driver, because the CEO of your company will not think for a second that you are the most valuable asset in his company. He will get subsidies from the government. He will get his savings and stay home like nothing is happening and when everything clears up , he will dismiss you like nothing .
    Now , for O/O like myself (100% independent) this is the good time to remained brokers that if we stop working , they will stop eating or supporting their families . We always can go straight to the shippers. So, when they tell me how much they appreciate what I do , I say save your words and show me the money
    . Believe me . I’m not going to move my truck for less than $ 6.00 per mile . Otherwise, I’m staying at home helping my old neighbors and family members.
    You are valuable and important for this economy, don’t let any motherFkr tell you differently.
    Be safe !!

Lite bug, lynchy and dwells40 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    A great old square rigger filmed from the rigging going around Cape Horn 1929 by Captain Irving Johnson.

My parents took me to see this at a film festival when I was 12 back in 1976 captain Irving Johnson the filmmaker narrated it.

Reading your post made me google it, unbelievably it is on YouTube .

Really Neat old footage

dunchues Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We already had that in the greater NYC-Jersey controlled space yesterday for a time there was NO ATC anywhere in any of the 5 major airfields in that region. Because someone tested positive for Covid19 and vacated the towers. Laguarida was the one that kept moving. (They had better, infamous for stacking them 20 seconds apart wanting down to land.)

As far as value? Not me. I was never treated in any special way overall. Get going yer late already. (And your fault too...) blame me for everytinig, fire me for what you cannot make stick on the politics. Withhold pay on everything else and destroy the DAC to boot.

No. I did this industry for a long time because I don't know any better and do not expect any better. The only time I felt wanted as a trucker was when we haul high dollar medicines. These people do not eff around. So the money takes care of itself with a minimum of spinning BS.

As a money maker this industry is not. 0.34 a mile for 10 years. Might as well be 80 years old and be paid 0.34 a mile. Such appreciation HA. //half sarc...

Inflation takes the rest, at least my Disability has risen approximately 30% since I got entered into that system. Some years there was no COLA to raise on.

This year we will have either a 25% loss and deduction to benefits each month or a 25% gain in COLA when this virus is beaten and we take off like gangbusters. really powerfully. That does not apply to truckers, they still get thier 0.34 a mile.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    Fantastic!

tommymonza Thanks this.
  6. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Everyone is dressed like a Ninja, ha ha ha

7. Otr294highway

Otr294highway Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2020
    You can get it by just having someone breathing next to you.
    Yes,
    unfortunately we're finding more evidence of airborne transmission, ie, you can get it from sitting next to someone breathing the same air on a plane or bus trip. JAMA just published results from a SG hospital that tested pt hospital rooms & found contamination by air vent.

all need to wear masks in public- you can’t stay two meters from other people on public transport and no amount of soap and water you use later after someone standing close to you coughed will be of any help

8. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    while that is partially true, that is not totally true. It is elderly or those with health issues. HOWEVER, they're now learning that those that are being hospitalized the most, while not dying, are younger people. They are suffering from respiratory issues and being put on the ventilators. So as I've said before, no need to panic, BUT, no need to just call this a nothing burger. You don't see the flu putting thousands of people into the hospital on ventilators. So when we run out of those, those that could have been saved and lived, will end up dying. That is the point of the distancing and isolation. To slow down the rate of infection. As we'll not get rid of it. This is a new virus and we've no natural immunity to it like the flu everyone has gotten before.

OldeSkool, chimbotano and seagreg Thank this.
  9. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    I think I would park it if I had a family, but it's just me so I will keep rolling.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    omfg does anybody look at the annual flu deaths? They are tens of thousands, every single year. THIS IS THE FLU. The ONLY concern is a large number of cases at once of a relatively new strain, overloading healthcare availability, hence the attempt at a period of national / regional social distancing. If you don't get it now, you'll get it later. Most cases without pre-existing conditions are VERY MILD. It is incredibly enlightening to see just how fast and just how severe the societal heart rate increases in only the anticipation of a potential "invisible bad guy"...and it's terrifying to feel how contagious the FEAR itself is, even when you know the facts. It's like the immune response nearly killing you in it's attempt to stop the intruder, the reaction is way more severe than the "thing", and the reaction is causing way more damage than the thing ever would, unnecessarily.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Kyle G. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.