Coronado vs cascadia

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Mototom, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    ive noticed a lot of companies offer the cascadia with manual or automatics but only one ATS offers the Coronado and only with a 9speed. Is there a reason for this?
    Is one really any better then the other (the trucks themselves equally specced) I.e dd15 with the auto. (I have seen Coronado with the auto but it’s few and far between)
    Doing a lease purchase I’d assume the price difference shouldn’t be too different.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Basically the same truck different trim packages, They come as they are ordered. Someone has to spec every truck on the dealers lots, Freightliner does not just build them. If its lot stock then the dealer sets it up, If its for a customer the customer orders the tractor the way they want it.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The Coranodo is an older cab and design truck. It was never built with the computers needed to for automatic to work. Today the Coranodo is sold as Glider kit truck for people that want to run the pre emissions engines. It's not even setup to run the new emissions engines. So it can't take a even new technology automatic. They stopped making the truck in 2010. Unless someone orders it today as Glider Kit truck. Then you or dealer had to put and engine and transmission in the truck yourself. Their is no way to hook up a modern automatic transmission. The truck is setup for the old engines and standard transmission.

5. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    In 2010 you could get auto tranny's no big deal.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    I’ve found a couple with an auto but they’re well used. Some even had drop axles which surprised me. I don’t have the luxury of being able to buy one outright but perhaps later on.
    I was mainly curious why a fleet would have both available but only one in a manual

7. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    The Cascadia replaced the Columbia basicly, there was a few years when both were built from a drivers point of view they appeared to be a trim difference.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    Ok I just like the square nose and mud roof Coronado to me it looks like the older generation of trucks vs a new aero truck.
    I’m just stuck with an auto restriction.

9. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Well thats unfortunate about the restricted license, but its the way of the future, International's, Freightliners, and Volvos seem to work fairly well, Paccar on the other hand shift rough, don't like to back up. I'm a oncall driver so I have the advantage of driving almost everything on the road. I know freightliner does not build the tranny, but they spec it and it works well.

10. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    I’m a bit early on the gun with this thread but I enjoy learning so it doesn’t bother me much.
    Now I’m looking at a Pete 579 with an mx13 or a cascadia with dd15

11. Arel3

Arel3 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2018
    I've driven both manuals and autos and at first I didn't like the auto at all but after I returned to a manual for a bit while mine was fitted there's one really good thing that autos make a heck of a lot easier: backing!

Sure. We can float to avoid wearing our knee out going forward but it's best and safest to ride it while backing.

There is also more space in an auto which is another plus.
    Don't fret the auto restriction. Manuals are dying off pretty quickly for those of us who give autos a chance. There's a lot of good an auto-shift does. And almost every truck on the road will be an auto in the next few years. We're almost there now. I actually see more autos than manuals now.

There really isn't much difference in drive train of the Cascadia and a Coronodo. The difference is the interrior design. Which one is best for you is your preference. Check them both out real good and choose the one you like the interrior of the best.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.