Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Voyager1968, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I was with some friends early this morning and talking about panic! I was asked what would I do if ICBMs with nuclear warheads were headed my way? I said I would get my lawn chair out, grab a beer (something I am not allowed to drink) and sit! I live so close to Langley AFB (HQ Air Combat Command) that when the fireworks started I will have a ringside seat! I have no desire to live in a post-nuclear world!

Voyager1968 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am almost the same way, there are 4 targets close enough that if they cared in their desire to end our Military Second strike we are good as dead. Hand me that bottle and let's pick a spot. The blast wave will arrive with enough overpressure to destroy the body, particularly the lungs and eardrums, eyes etc. It wont take too long after that to pass on. Just a little flopping from the burns.

Remember I grew up in the age of megatonnage. If you are going to be burned into a surface by the light as a shadow forever, make it a big one.

I don't worry about it. Much. The difference is older age. You had a good run. Now if I was 18 and had a life to live then sure I would be looking for a hole sufficient for 4 weeks of starshine and radiation downwind of the targets. But those are just not that common now.

The biggest problem is EMP. Light one off sufficently placed above us then no trucks and no trains other than steam and old iron. And we don't have that many of them left. Most cars today with computers bricked. As are electric motors and so forth that are under digital control. Poof. Now what? Beans and bullets baby, save the last few for yourselves.

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Truck stop food scares me way more than that silly virus thats named after a light beer.

Now if it was the moonshine virus, id reconsider my level of concern.

Joeallen Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This how I wanna go when I go out!

not4hire Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I won't disagree with the numbers. I just ask everybody to maintain perspective. The US has over 60,000 deaths a year from flu and flu-like illnesses. I read yesterday were some researchers in Australia are predicting as many as 14 million deaths worldwide coming from this. Nobody is trying to say it is not serious.

8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You're not reading the same forum I am.

I am not in the "panic" camp, but is a serious threat. Either extreme is ridiculous, IMHO.

joshuapowell61 and gentleroger Thank this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm sure most people following this situation have been to the Johns Hopkins tracking site, so I won't link it again.

Here's an updated screenshot of March 07, 2020 U.S. stats. The bulk of the reported deaths are from that nursing home in Washington.

JohnsHopkins.JPG

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    To be fair both the political Right and Left are feeding misinformation to the public here in the US. I honestly don't know how all this will end. I am encouraged by the still rising recovery rates (mostly in China) posted on that Johns Hopkins website. They are approaching 60% now. I continue to see reports, where the Chinese are starting to go back to work AND the rates of new cases, have fallen. I won't get into much detail on all this, but if this thing hits Hampton Roads Virginia I'm in serious trouble because I don't think I am strong enough to beat it. So, yes I am scared as any normal thinking person should be. I also am just now seeing where police in the Central California area are making mandatory stay at home orders now. I just hope that as this runs it's course it will prove to not have death rates that become at pandemic levels.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    gentleroger and not4hire Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.