Coronavirus - Will drivers have any way to get out of a city quarantine if their not sick?

Discussion in 'Other News' started by ALEXinTEXAS, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    This was sent to me.....

Good advice from James Robb, M.D., Fellow of the College of American Pathologists, posted 2/26/2020:

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves:
    1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
    2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
    3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
    4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
    5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
    6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
    7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
    1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
    Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
    2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
    3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
    4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    From what ive seen so far, travelers and healthcare workers are at highest risk. We are vulnerable also like any travelers, Imo the truck stops are our highest hot spot risk zone, it's a travel center used by thousands every day, waiting in line for washrooms, showers, coffee even the pumps. I was in Love's in TX few hours ago and i watched them using disinfectant on coffee machines and doors . I would try to stay away from truck stops, rest area as much as possible , get some food water fro. home, or shop less often, just fueling and go, sleep on ramps, satisfy my needs in bushes urinate on trees like dogs. I believe there's a future risk over next week's ,months of getting stuck in quarantined states cities waiting for loads, away from home ,without $ food, water .

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    x1Heavy and silverspur Thank this.
  4. TruckChicken

TruckChicken Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Will correct only one of your lies. The mortality rate is actually 34 times greater than the influenza virus.

5. Rcranch81

Rcranch81 Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2020

6. Rcranch81

Mar 7, 2020
    Right on couldn’t have put it better

7. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I went to Walmart in Knoxville and they were out of hand sanitizer. Family dollar had it though. The cashier at at Fam$ said they were sold out of masks and a guy came in yesterday and bought $200 of disinfectant wipes.

I did manage to get some disposable gloves at Walmart. I just looked at one of the boxes: MADE IN CHINA. Another was Malaysia, another in Thailand. So not all bad news

I'm at the Parkers Crossroads truck stop now and asked the lady if they had zinc lozenges and she said no but I was the third person that asked for them today.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Rcranch81

Mar 7, 2020
    So been rumored that might close Canadian Boarder I run up there at least 2 times a week been told if they do that they would have to let me back in the US because I am a citizen. Do t know if that helps you or not

ALEXinTEXAS Thanks this.
  9. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    someone needs to put an end to these ridiculous fake news threads with all these Armageddon scares. this is getting silly

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    You are comparing the world wide rate of a new virus to the USA rate of a well known virus... Like peanuts and grapes. Do a little research and crunch a few numbers... I have.

The current world wide mortality rate for cornavirus is approximately 3.45%

The world wide annual mortality rate for influenza is historically between 3% and 5%... Yes in the USA alone it is about 0.1%. But when you take in the ENTIRE WORLD that number skyrockets because a good portion of the world does NOT have access to quality healthcare and medical facilities and technology.

The scary part about coronavirus? Its new... Thats it... Its something we havent seen we dont have a vaccine yet, as far as the research shows almost no one... If any one at all... Has immunity. That is why you have to compare the world wide mortality rates... Now the USA is in the same boat as the rest of the entire world... We know little to nothing about this virus and have no vacinne.

But research also shows that most healthy people that contract it will recover just as if they had the flu or a bad cold.

This in no way doesnt mean this virus couldnt mutate and become worse... It very well could. The flu does almost every year.

Dave_in_AZ and Chubby Fly Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.