corporation to corporation transfer of truck ?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Edgrmndz, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Edgrmndz

Edgrmndz Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    so my corporation is going under, eventually it will file for bankruptcy. I want to continue making payment in one of the trucks, the others got reposes, I'm starting over with another corporation and want to transfer the last truck to the new corp . and run the truck under the new corp. any ideas on how is best to do this??.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Why is it going under, and why start another if you can't run the first one

4. Edgrmndz

Edgrmndz Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I was doing good at the beginning with one truck and my self as a driver, then I tried to go big and after 4 trucks on my company I was making money for the brokers specially and then the drivers the government , the dealers, the government etc, etc , so I'm going back to one truck and myself!!.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So you are obfuscating your obligations instead of fixing the company up?

Got it.

Why don't you file chapter 11 and go through the process to fix the problems.

So here is what you do, sell the truck.

Otherwise you need to buy the truck from the one company to move the ownership of it and that means a loan if it isn't paid off or a reasonable amount of cash if it is, there is no other way legally to transfer it.

By the way, you as an officer of the company can still be liable for the debts of the company seeing you were a one man operation, you can still be told by the court to fix the problem before a declaration of insolvency can be passed and discharge of the debts take place if the creditors feel there is a need to do so.

Edgrmndz and redoctober83 Thank this.
  6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    From the court's perspective, as long as the new owner pays fair value for the truck, you can transfer the title. For example if the truck is worth $10K more than the loan balance, the new corporation needs to pay the current owner $10K.

If you sell it for less than fair market value, you have a good chance of running afoul of the fraud statues and wearing silver bracelets at some point......

I'd have my BK attorney set it up to avoid any and all problems.

Edgrmndz Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That's subject to the lender's permission.

(edit) the lender's contract is with the one corporation, which is going into bankruptcy and not with the new one, so they have to get permission but even with the worth of $10k more than the loan balance, it doesn't matter, the lender is the one who holds the note, not the company and the judge will have to check it out and approve it once it goes into bankruptcy.

You can't transfer title to property with a lien on it, you have to buy the truck and then if your new corp is without capital in the second company. because it is a new corp, you have to establish credit and if you can't get a loan because of the pending bankruptcy which may pop up, the only solution is to sell the truck outright or let the lender take it back - not repo'd but a return.

Edgrmndz Thanks this.
  8. Edgrmndz

Edgrmndz Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Thanks. I guess my doors are closing on that one too.
    I owe on the truck about 30k but this truck I can buy it on the market right now for about 14k is a prostar with a maxx13 engine. I have put lots of repair on it but I trust the truck will work ok because of the repairs I done to it,, the problem also is my credit is bad so I cant get another truck that's why I wanted to keep this one and transfer it to the new company.
    I spoke to the finance co, and they need to run my credit to transfer the loan to the new corp so I know how that is going to end .

9. Rackpass 85

Rackpass 85 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Set up as S- corp easier that way! And good luck! Been there done that mistake but didnt go belly up came close though!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.