Cost of operation "real numbers"

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Crazytrucker77, Apr 15, 2019.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Accounting,bookkeeping takes about one hour a week and another hour at tax time. 30mins or so could be eliminated, but I do ltl so I generally have 20-30 bills plus any associated receipts. Finding loads, I emailed broker this morning told him I’ll load up Friday. Three minutes later he replied “ already got you booked “. Negotiating rates about 2-3 minutes. Fighting with brokers only have one that tries to be a prick. One email to his boss and things get straightened out.
    Working on truck to many variables.
    Hunting cheap fuel 2-3 minutes
    Sitting in the shop all day. Not happening unless a catastrophic failure.
    Been home since last Thursday night. Haven’t worked on truck yet. Probably give it a once over Wednesday.

chimbotano Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    He grossed $196k last year but everybody else made the money...

SL3406 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Back when the oilfield was booming I could believe that. Deff not now though but it is better than playing the general freight game

cjbrents Thanks this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    So if you paid yourself 60k, what a company driver makes, you have no extra profit.
    If that's the money you made with 2018 rates, I am afraid this year will be down to $30-40k

Tug Toy, SL3406 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  6. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    That is true if you want to be over the road running several weeks at a time but myself I want to be home more often so that's why I am where I'm at. I get home every weekend and at least through home one to two times during the week. Granted I can go work for a couple different flatbed companies in my area and make north of 65k but then I would have to stay out at least 3 weeks at a time and most likely not get through home in between taking home time. I am just at a point in my life where I value being able to be home more often rather than making but loads of money. I make enough money to live comfortably and have some savings. I am happy with my situation and that is honestly what really matters.

7. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Actually I worked for the company I am with as a company driver for a full year and only made 35k Plus. So I really honestly more than doubled my income by switching over to the lease side of things

8. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    So quick question scooter are you an owner operator and if so would you be willing to give your numbers for last year?

9. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    So does that 90 include a wage for you or is that just your profit after your expenses? We made pretty close to the same gross but you took home a good amount more than me at the end of the day. That begs the question do you own your equipment outright or at least have low payments

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Here is my numbers. This is leaving Monday morning and coming home Friday night. All dry van spot market freight (the third truck only worked the last quarter of the year). There are about 2 months worth of missed work due to very expensive repairs :(
    Total miles (including deadhead) 191023
    Gross revenue $469759
    Edit: to include all the time off, two trucks worked about 10 months each and the third truck worked 3.5 months.
    This year I know I won't get that, but at the same time I am not expecting engine rebuilds either, so hopefully in the end of the year it all works out

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    SL3406, D.Tibbitt and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I am an owner operator, I run with my own numbers, book my own loads, etc.

Numbers are relevant to an extent...

My goal in business is to show as minimal of a tax liability as possible through my corporation. I acheive that goal and reap the benefits of such planning in a variety of ways.

Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.