Cottrell 5309 19.5" or 22.5" axles assemblies

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by AGL, Dec 11, 2016.

1. AGL

AGL Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Please help me to decide which axles should I pick? It will go on a new trailer.
    I am also installing a lift kit!
    Does it make difference when it comes to loading lower or upper deck? What about height and weight advantages? Are 19.5 axels strong enough for a full load regarding structural issues? What is a difference in a tire wear? maitnance cost?

..... I need to make a right decision here

Also any suggestions with other options like:
    Belly Pans
    Aluminum flippers
    36" Aluminum flippers
    Chains or straps?
    Did anybody thought about chain and strap combo option? 2 chains 2 straps positioned diagonal
    Thank you!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AGL

AGL Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2016

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The 19.5's are rated plenty high enough, but there are other reasons to avoid them. The tires are hard to find, brake parts are ridiculously expensive, and the when I had them they were prone to seize on the hub. It actually took a porta-power to get them off a couple times. Loading height doesn't matter, you can get a dump valve on the trailer to help with approach angles when loading the top (Which isn't a huge issue on that trailer anyways.) But if you haul where 13'6" is a critical issue, that extra bit of tire height might make the difference.

I wouldn't spend the money on aluminum flippers, you weight problems will be the rear axle getting heavy long before you get to gross. I ran one hauling POVs for a while, and only once did I manage to gross it out without the rear axle being heavy. The belly pans are nice if you run where they put a lot of gravel down in winter, and it's nice not to have to worry so much about chain slack dragging.

Something else to consider: That is a very versatile trailer, but it has it's limitations. Except for the back bottom unit, you will move every deck on that trailer to get any unit on/off the trailer. That includes the one on the 5th wheel. The tip deck in the belly is very difficult to chain down, as access is very tight, especially on the right. And that's a chain trailer, I don't think it's available as a strap unit.

As far as combining straps and chains, that's not a good idea. Chains physically hold the vehicle in place, straps mainly increase the traction at the tire. The two aren't interchangeable.

I've not run one, and I hear they're expensive and heavy, but I'd look hard at the CX-5308, especially if you run more cars than trucks. They load quick from what I've seen, and they're a strap unit.

We have a C-5307, and it's not horrible, but too many limitations (especially to a highrail guy like me) for me to ever recommend getting one. If you haul trucks with one, the middle unit's tires fall in the wrong spots, and you'll have to brace the decks where they sit. The angles in the belly are horrible, we can't even load MKZ's or Mustangs in the belly, as they bottom out. The unit backed over the tandem often has to be placed in a less than desirable position to be able to get out of it. You can't really use the belly for trucks: Most of them are too tall to go all the way forward where they need to be.

I'm sure these other guys will have more ideas for you, as some of them like the high-mounts. Me, I'm too much of a stinger guy. And the legal gray area the high-mounts are stuck in is just too much risk for my tastes.

5. AGL

AGL Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I'm very familiar with 5307 pros and cons, hardest part for me is getting in and out from bottom deck. Chains are big help for putting trucks in the belly. Also they don't have holes for straps in bottom deck above axels,
    Biggest reason I'm going with 5309 is a extra car that I can put up with these low rates.

Attached Files:

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  6. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I hear you. Another thing before I forget... there's a hella lot more to slip plate on the 5309 compared to any of the other highmounts. It's really just a 7512 with a nose put on it, so at this point your looking at a design that's about 20 years old. I'd think real hard about how often you'd use that 9th spot compared to one of the new 8-car strap units.

brian991219, Terry270 and AGL Thank this.
  7. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Get axles that have oil bath bearings. several of the greased wheel bearing good for a million miles have caught fire. Also get a grease bank on the zerks for the 12 locations to grease brake componets. a shot of grease while standing next to the trsilrr once a week keeps brake parts lubed. practically impossible to get under trailer to grease unless you are over a pit.

brian991219, Hammer166 and AGL Thank this.
  8. AGL

AGL Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2016
    5308 is amazing trailer, very practical and safe for loading and unloading. I think I have better chance working with trucks suv and crossovers if I go with 5309

9. AGL

AGL Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2016
    What did you mean by there's lot more to slip plate? Can you give me few examples please

10. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Sure. Every cylinder drives a sleeve up and down a post, right? Think of how many more cylinders there are on a 5309 vs 5307. Yes, some of the belly decks share posts with the top, but all those individual decks mean more posts. I count 17 posts and slides on the 5309, I think the 5307 has 8.

upload_2016-12-11_12-3-25.png

11. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    This statement. I just don't know what to say.

Tropsnart, AGL and Hammer166 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.