Could I, Should I, become a truck driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dougman, Feb 11, 2007.

1. I am a middle aged American male with a strong interest in becoming a truck driver. I have a strong back and a good heart, however my knees have seen better days. What are the physical requirements for trucking?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
  4. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Good blood pressure, good eyesight, good mental health are the main concerns.

5. Light Traveler

Light Traveler Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Somewhere out there...
    You may have to do some climbing if hauling flat-beds, and sit for extended periods of time, but other than that you should be fine. Also make sure that your BP is in check. (under 140/90):thumbup:

6. paperboy

paperboy Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2006
    There Is Always Automatic Transmissions For Those With Bad Knees. Just Don't Tell The Company Or The Doctors You Have Bad Knees. Usxpress, Trans Am, Pam Have Auto Shift.

7. Thanks for the advice paperboy, it sounds good. Do these companies use auto trannies as a rule?, can you request one?, does anyone know how that works?

8. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    i know PAM has both. i don't know if you can request one or not.

9. thedragon

thedragon Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Wadena, Mn
    I remeber hearing on Sirius Roaddog Trucking a lady saying she ran into a trucker with no legs. He had a special equiped rig. Now days if you can pass the DOT Physical, you should be good to go.

10. paperboy

paperboy Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2006
    certain companies run only automatics....usxpress runs only automatic and transam runs automatics....they are weeding out the manual transmission...and i would assume most of theese big companies will have this as atleast as an option in the next several years....i personally have a little tendenidis in my left knee but im going to tough it out to get the experience on a manual first. they say automatics are awesome in traffic jams.....and it's a no brainer on downgrades.

trucking is for you if you want to travel and you can handle long periods of boredom. long periods away from home as well. it truely is a lifestyle vs. a career. once i started school and i started driving.....i just wanted to get back in that tractor. it's addicting.

11. Thanks again for some good info there paperboy, I would prefer to bang gears they way God intended but sometimes you have to sacrifice for a dream.
    As for the boredom and long periods of time away from home, let's just say that after being a desk jockey for the past ten years, sharing an office space with nearly 100 folks all doing the same thing and no one really talking to each other, that's lonely. And when the days begin to feel like weeks, that is when you know it's time to go. I want to be addicted.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.