Could use some perspective, maybe even some encouragement!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Willocouple, Sep 26, 2008.

1. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, in 2 years, no-one has been there and done that for all-inclusive purposes. Confidence in what you are doing is one thing, arrogance is another. I first learned of "trainers" that have been on the road all of 1 or 2 years from this forum. I had to do a double-take. And read more of it on other threads before it was fully understood that there are companies out there that think a 1 year "veteran" would make a good trainer. I don't really know what describes a veteran - at what point are you a vet and what substantiates it? But I will say that I would consider that a person that has less than 5 years under his-her belt probably isn't a veteran in the true sense of the word. Wisdom only comes through experience - certainly 2 years does not endow the idea of wisdom to me. I still experience different situations from time to time - but then, I find those situations invigorating instead of irritating.
    Whatever the case, some of the stuff I have read on this forum has led me to observe certain company's drivers much more intently when I'm on this city's freeways - and steer FAR clear of them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    And the same thing can be said of someone who has been driving a Big truck for 5 years,
    10 years, or more.
    Let me see if I understand what'cher sayin' here, ........
    A trainer with fewer that 2 years experience, and is confident with their abilities, is considered "arrogant"?
    Hmmmmmmmmmm
    Is "veteran" your word, or the company's?
    Performance and driving records and attitude for starters.
    Didn't you already admit you don't know what "substantiates" a "veteran",
    in the true sense of the word?
    Because, perhaps, you lack enough wisdom?
    How "wise" is it to shoot the messenger, and ignore the message?
    That's in your favor.

If a trainer with oh, ....... say 2 years experience is one who can and does think on their feet when presented with new situations, and gits 'er done
    , why wouldn't an attentive trainee with them learn the same thing the same way?
    By THINKING.

Give a man a fish,
    and feed him for a day.
    TEACH a man HOW to fish,
    and feed him for a lifetime.

No trainer is gonna demonstrate EVERY possible situation y'all WILL encounter out there. The BEST instruction that trainer can provide a trainee is to teach them how to THINK.
    I think.
    And that's what I did.

Have y'all noticed how many trainer horror stories mention that their trainers had several, or more, years experience?
    Hmmmmmmmm
    So, even years of experience doesn't guarantee a trainer will be capable of training properly.
    Ya reckon.

Would y'all be "wise" enough to turn down a known successful trainer
    with not enough experience,
    in your opinion?

I'm glad to know you're reading and driving safely.
    Thanx for doin' both. :yes2557:

4. CflTeam

CflTeam Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Central, Fl
    Willocouple, glad to hear you are hanging in there. I have been following your posts since before you even went to school! I have read enough of them to know which company you are now working for and I just want to say that I hope you will continue to post after you and your husband get your own truck and let us know how the company treats you.

My husband and I will soon be going to school and eventually we will also have to make the decision of picking a company that will hire students and may end up at the same one you are at, so I really want to hear how it goes for you!

5. Willocouple

Willocouple Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Unknown
    Hey CFITeam, nice to hear from you! We'll definitely keep you updated as to our progress. Good luck in school...when do you plan to start?

As far as the company, so far I really can't say anything bad. Our trainer HATES them....all he has done since day one is talk bad about them and he even is trying to get us to quit and go someplace else....weird, huh?

But, I've talked to several other drivers when we've run into them. For the most part, we get an okay response. The single biggest message we keep getting is to be on time, be professional, don't complain and don't turn any loads down. If you do all of that, then the miles will come and they will treat you right. Doesn't sound too hard to me. Sounds to me that if you just do your job, then it should be okay. Time will tell, though, and I'll definitely let you know how it's going.

From personal experience, with the exception of the night/weekend dispatchers, everyone we have encountered in the company have been very nice and very helpful.

Take care and put your seatbelts on. You're about to take off on the bumpiest, but most exciting ride of your lives! :biggrin_25525:

AfterShock Thanks this.
  6. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ

7. durrty

durrty Light Load Member

May 10, 2008
    east

8. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007

9. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Actually, AfterShock, I think he was differentiating between the two, not calling them one in the same. Having confidence in your knowledge, skills and abilities is one thing, but being ####y about same or what you think you know is another, I think is what was meant.

Or something like that. I could be wrong, it's happened before...

Well... not wrong, really... let's just say mistaken, shall we?:biggrin_25512:

10. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    English not your first language?
    Methinks AfterShock has a bit of experience.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  11. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007

"Mistaken" works for me.
    Thanx for the explanation.
    Much appreciated. :biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.