Counter offer.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Youratv, May 22, 2018.

1. Youratv

Youratv Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I was on a dispatch that ended up being canceled. Another dispatch came over the qualcomm. I talked with my dm who told me i could counter offer it because i wasn't at the origin of my suggested trip plan.
    I told him i would when i parked for my 30 min break. It took me over an hour to figure out the math. I'm still not sure if it was correct. The dispatch was removed. My dm said it was correct but didn't fit thw customer's needs so I'm not really fretting about it.
    I just need to know if there's a quicker way to do the math. All our trip plan suggestions are designed to completely burn the 14 hr clock. I did all the math on paper and I had less than 3hr drive time left.
    My references were google maps which is just for cars really and the drive times on the qualcomm which i had to add together and trying to figure out additional time from where i was.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I always figure that by dividing the mileage by 62 mph. A lot of times if you average out your hrs and miles after you park for the night, it will be that or less

Youratv Thanks this.
  4. Youratv

Youratv Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I guess i would do it by 50 cause that's what we trip plan at?
    Also my truck only does 60
    62 on cruise (sorry other trucks)
    I know I'm slow :)

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Lol I could go faster, but I set mine 62. I actually find that to be the most efficient speed. I don't have to get off the cruise as much. Planning at 50 mph is even better. You're giving yourself tons of time, and anticipating all adverse conditions.

rabbiporkchop and RedBeardedT Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's not rocket science. Every one will have their own approach to the subject. I tell you mine, this might not work for you.

But you have to know real numbers on your 70, 11, and 14. You have to make appropriate allowances for breaks and potential traffic problems and slowdowns. Using Google is okay in many cases to get a distance, I use it mostly too for trip planning. I have a 65 mph truck and use 60-63 mph, depending on the geographic area I'm working with. Having many decades of experience helps to better be aware of where the potential pitfalls lie, but if you run an area often enough you will figure it out soon.

bryan21384 and Youratv Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Interesting that your company intends on completely burning a 14 hour clock.

My trucking math is simple. Let's say Little Rock to load at Memphis going to .. Baltimore.

Little rock to Memphis is about 120 miles. Memphis to Baltimore the route I use will be about 1400 miles on the ground, I have to make a certain river crossing to avoid 4 ridges that are pretty serious liability in fuel and pulling. So 1600 miles involved with this trip.

I divide that by 35. that is the number of driving hours. About 45 total. (I have done this trip in two days worth of driving in a car or three in a big truck before. legally) This includes the need to have a 8 hour break every 10 hours in my time. So it becomes a 4 day haul.

I know I can be there in three with a big truck. The problem is time wasted loading if any. That's built in So I can still be on time.

I always protect the 70 hours rule. I never "Burn" more time than I absolutely have to.

My math is a bit slower than fleet math which pushes 45 or 50 mph daily as average. This way they know at 6 am which trucks are running late and have them stop and call to explain why. For some it's the last day of work due to service failure.

8. Youratv

Youratv Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I'm pretty much brand new to trucking.
    This is the first occurence for having to counter offer. I usually just accept what the give me and drive which doesn't bother me at all. The furthest I've been so far is like chicago.
    I think the suggested trip plan is generated. I've already burned my 70.
    I'm concerned with being on time at the moment but slowly working on managing my clock that way.

9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    All you need to know are the miles.
    Divide that by 60 and that's how many
    Hours it takes to do the trip.
    Takes about 2 minutes.

Don't bother adding time for fueling, pre trip
    And whatever else.
    You'll be running 65 to 70 all day long anyway.

When I go to the northeast I use 55 instead of 60.
    Works every time.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  10. Youratv

Youratv Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2018
    My truck doesn't go past 60.
    I'm in the northeast.
    It was just from nj to pa.
    The issue i had was getting to the shipper then being able to shutdown and then adding my 10 hr break then my pretrip which is mandatory that it 30 mins. then to the customer.
    All this while i was already off duty and i every time i re evaluted the math the clock had moved.
    I was getting pretty stressed out.

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    What is the pickup time and city and the delivery time and city?
    How far from shipper are you? Any clue as to length of time to get loaded? How many hours had you already used up? Perhaps an 8 hour break may have sufficed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.