Couple of HotShot questions...

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by ASIAN_REDNECK, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    HUT is NY tax. There was a legal battle over NY trying to put extra tax on top of IFTA . I don’t know if it is settled. I believe they have weight of like 16,000lbs class for the lowest rate.

Mojo1960, ZVar and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Certificate of Registration

I read it as 18,000lbs combination, or single vehicle..

I was stopped in NY in 2016 for not having the decal. The officer let me ride for my ignorance luckily, but only after an otherwise clean level 1 inspection. He did not give me a clean CVSA sticker, & I signed up for HUT immediately on site with him looking over my shoulder.. Lol

Mojo1960, ZVar and Lite bug Thank this.
  4. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    When I started out the guy I was leased to ran under 26. I knew nothing about anything else weights, IFTA, IRP, so I continued with what I knew. Most people move up in weight as there are more opportunities for freight. I tried to run everything as a expedited load and now that has become my bread and butter. Everything is pickup and run straight thru.

Mojo1960 and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    It's a bit of a hassle always trying to keep up with everything. It's obviously way too much to ask that weights, sizes or permits be universal across the states!! :rolleyes:

That's the best way to go in my opinion.. And honesty, I still sell 75% of my service as expedited. That's the best bargaining chip I got.. Just have the ability to deck ~29k lbs on 48' nowadays, lol.. Which is still considered "light weight" to many brokers, & shippers..

I couldn't make the under 26k lb work well for myself. I still blame my location, as the rates in FL are cheap for the most part, & there isn't much manufacturing near my home base. At 36k lb in the hotshot I ran, was much more profitable for me personally, because of more availability on the spot market. That was the biggest reason I stepped up again. Availability of freight. There is exactly 0 more paperwork involved between 36k & the 54,999 lbs I'm at now..

I know it wasn't easy for you, but you're a true testament that it can be done. You're going on what 12, 13 years now.? I like my FLD don't get me wrong, but if I could run like you, be home almost every night, & be profitable I'd go right back into a dually at 26k lb, no questions asked.. Just don't want to sleep in one much anymore. I know your a Ford guy, but I'd be right back in a Dodge.! Preferably a '91.5-'93 flat nose 12 valve 5speed this time!! LoL

3a26c903d5953119886270efb9fb974d.jpg

Mojo1960 Thanks this.
  6. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    A good looking ride, for sure. You have adapted and overcome. Yes very difficult to keep a Hotshot going in Florida. I was lucky with the Ford got it with 7500 miles on it. It had the 7.3 and I did not know anything about it. I can not do any wrenching so I PM the heck out of it. I think as long as you keep plugging away at it, building relationships, turning a profit, gaining experience the better you become. At some point being based out of Florida becomes a asset. There is so much competition coming out the brokers have so many players to choose from. I think the way you write and plan sets you apart from a lot of people and people remember that. But as long as it is still fun it is not work.

7. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    More like a 3 car hauler. I dont think a 10k tag along can take 2 cars. A 20 ft trailer must weigh about 3k (guessing) and can realistically carry 1 car.
    There is a truck I was asking about in the car hauling sub that can supposedly carry 3 cars under 26k. Maybe if you can hook up a tag along with that?

I'm as shocked as you are. I see the proof and not going to argue against it but how can a combination vehicle over 26k gcvwr be non cdl is beyond me.

8. ASIAN_REDNECK

ASIAN_REDNECK Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2020
    When it comes to running into other states, how and where do you go find find out if you have to purchase any permits? And does this even apply to non-cdl?

Mojo1960 Thanks this.
  9. Creswell81

Creswell81 Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2020
    North Carolina
    Permits for what wide loads or oversized loads?

Mojo1960 Thanks this.
  10. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Couple of permits in some western states.

11. ASIAN_REDNECK

ASIAN_REDNECK Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2020
    No, not oversized loads. I just meant because I've read about permits to run through states, but I know most of that only applies to over 26,0001 lbs with CDL in coordination with IFTA.

Just trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible before starting, ya know?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Mojo1960 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.