Couple of questions about OD

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by AnthonyM757, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    This time of year is slow for everyone. Ironically, the mild winter has exacerbated that since loads aren't piling up on the dock because the trucks can't get out. Spring isn't far away, freight will pick up, and they'll be hiring again.

I would guess they keep your application on file for a period of time, most places are around 60 days. Check in periodically to see what the hiring status is, and they can let you know your status. Also did you know there is a new terminal in Brownsburg? It's just off the Reagan Parkway on 136, about 15 min from the Holt rd terminal. I know they don't need drivers, but their dock situation might be different.

Gabriel Holliday Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gabriel Holliday

Gabriel Holliday Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Yeah I was aware of that, I just figured they would let me know if I could go there.

That's the confusing part. They actually hired me, I took the drug test and got my picture taken for my badge. The only thing they never got back to me on was the background, which I know is OK. I've never been arrested or had anything questionable on my background.

I noticed that OD stock price went down right after I got hiredband I figured they lost a big account or something and that was the reason for the freeze.

I'm just holding out hope that they will call me and I won't have to start over and try again. But like you said most places only hold on for 60 or so and its already been a little over 60 days, I took the drug test in early December. I guess I'll just keep my eye on it and see what happens.

Thanks for the response.

4. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Whoa. I spaced the part where you got hired and did the badge photo and everything. Sorry about my poor comprehension. Definitely check in with HR about your status. It could be that you are just on a delayed start or something of that nature. Keep on them. It sounds strange, but communication isn't all that great during the hiring process. It gets much better once you're in. I was interviewing at other places because I figured they weren't interested, then they finally got back with me. OD is a great place to work and I can't recommend it enough, but this is definitely one of their weak areas. At least in Indy. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Gabriel Holliday Thanks this.
  5. Gabriel Holliday

Gabriel Holliday Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Well I didn't mention it before, so that's on me. But yeah they didn't even call me to tell me about the freeze and I was kind of put off by that. But I have never heard anyone who worked there say anything but good stuff, that's why I applied in the first place and have never really been excited about a job like this until I took that photo and knew I was in, and then I wasn't, lol.

None of this has changed my mind about the place, I still want to be apart of the company and will definitely keep on them.

Thanks again for the response. You've been very helpful. Take care.

6. odsilverbullet

odsilverbullet Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    I wish they would start hiring drivers in Carlisle PA already

7. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Have a friend who has talked to OD off and on over a year. Last summer I could got him on no problem, but he was not really to move . Now he is at his wits end at his current job. Really wish he would have come over when he could.

8. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Hang in there. I've heard management say that they're planning on hiring soon. If you haven't done so already, call the linehaul office and ask to speak to the linehaul manager. Tell him you're interested. It's Calvin Kohler. Then keep calling every so often (weekly or bi-weekly?) to make sure you can get in there when they start hiring. Spring is right at the doorstep, freight will be picking up soon enough. They'll need drivers. If you can, it's worth the wait to get into OD at Carlisle, trust me.

9. odsilverbullet

Feb 15, 2015
    Oh my mind is set brother lol, this is the job I want and the job I will get hopefully sooner than later..... I actually just called Calvin Wednesday and they aren't hiring yet but that gives me more time to get my resume done and still gotta get the hazmat....I've been slacking

10. odsilverbullet

Feb 15, 2015
    I'm thinking about just taking my resume personally to Calvin when I get it done, rather than putting it through the website.......what do you think

11. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Honestly, I didn't even think you needed a resume, did he specifically ask for one? I didn't have a resume when I went to my interview, just a certificate from my trucking school, my printed driving record going back 5 years, and some other personal info (license etc...). Pretty sure I didn't take along a resume.

The "offical" application is done at their kiosk in the linehaul office.

You should've gotten that hazmat done "yesterday." It takes some time to get it ran through the government, you need to really get going on that. I don't think they'll even hire you until you have that endorsement, or at least not until you've already started the process.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.