Couple questions from a newbie in south Florida

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BubbRubb, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    National Carriers hires in Florida as well.

BubbRubb and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Good one, China, Jr. ~! How do you KNOW all this??? LoL... ask me about Ohio, and I 'gotcha' ...else? Not much... haha!

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  4. Vic Firth

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    The only thing I know about Ohio is the cops love truck drivers! :cool:

starmac and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    They also like donuts and KitKats... keep some on board, LoL~! ;)

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  6. Vic Firth

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    That’s some good advice Tom! :)

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    <<<<<< TIPS HAT >>>>>> ;)

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you find a state to establish a new home.

I ran out of maryland for half of my years out there on the road And Pa took care of the mail and anything truly important. Sometimes I end up heading home when sick and he was very useful in coordinating where in the USA is me hunt. With my company. (Most drivers when bad sick will point truck towards home with a verifiable pattern on satellite and so on. They will give you a week to get well and carry on as if it never happened. A couple of 8.00 paychecks until your money making miles are reached again is common.

When I got married in Arkansas after making the decision to marry her for one and to become a home owner there for two Lands etc) I went ahead and got married. a hour after the reception I had a Arkansas CDLA in 20 minutes.

Ex just got her Real ID license today with the gold star that allows access to flying and federal installations including court houses and VA buildings etc and military bases etc. she is working on passport and fast pass among other small little things that make travel not a problem for her or me. I'll be changing out my license in a few weeks, reup my CHL about the same time and break in my new replacement weapon. And so forth.

This year we have a number of important tests coming up and two of us have surgeries. Hers first and mine is post pone until we understand the heart. If it is just too bad then hospice is the next call. All the rest of working etc out the window. However I am not finsihed just yet.

BubbRubb Thanks this.
  9. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    What do you want to do? Local, otr? Community college is okay but I firmly believe in on the job training. You actually learn how to drive a truck and do your job while getting paid so why be on the hook with some company for a few thousand dollars? If ya wanna go otr @Chinatown is the man with the best I go on the interwebs. If ya wanna go local I can point you in the direction of a few training companies in Florida. Where in South Florida are you? Like pompano or like the keys?

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    My company, Britton Transport, hires from basically anywhere in the country but depending on where you live would require you to stay out longer. I imagine that would be the case with South Florida. They do hire new drivers but you would have to get CDL on your own. Best wishes to you!

BubbRubb and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many companies don't hire south of I-4.
    KLLM Transport and FFE (Frozen Food Express) has a terminal in Miami, so maybe you can attend their school in Mississippi.
    Dot Transportation www.drivefordot.com hires new cdl school grads and has a terminal in Hialeah. I think you have to live within 100 miles of the terminal.
    Or, just pack your bags and move out here to Las Vegas. No state income taxes and no food taxes.

G13Tomcat, BubbRubb and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.