Couple questions from a newbie in south Florida

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BubbRubb, Sep 19, 2019.

1. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Yeah, Dock'To'Driver (starting in Florida) would probably be ideal, IMHO, for the O/P. Pays rather decent as well, I hear.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I am not saying this to sound like a dick but working the dock in a dock to driver program at most places pays more than a driving job at most otr companies that hire new guys. It's all about what the op want to do. See the country? Be home every night? Nice new truck with a sleeper? Old truck but higher pay? No wrong answers.

Vic Firth and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. BubbRubb

BubbRubb Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2019
    I’ve only really been considering otr honestly. I like to drive a bunch. Driven cross country 4 times and loved every second. My wife hates how all I want to do is drive everywhere haha!

So yeah otr flatbed is where I want to be

Vic Firth and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jones Bros Trucking in Missoula is flatbed.
    Melton Truck Lines - www.meltontruck.com hires new cdl school grads from about anywhere.

FlaSwampRat, BubbRubb and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    If you want flatbed and South Dakota I can think of none better than Britton Transport Flatbed division. It is based in Sioux Falls and you would be trained by our very own @MrEd . I work in this division and it is great. I recommend getting your license on your own. Opens up your options a lot.

MrEd, BubbRubb and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Then that's what you need to run with. Just do a lot of research on here about companies and ask a million questions before making the jump. Life is way too short to be one of the miserable ####s in a truck.

BubbRubb Thanks this.
  8. BubbRubb

BubbRubb Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2019
    Thanks everyone for the advice! You’ve all be more than helpful!

Based on y’all s suggestions I think I’ll pursue the tech school route and try to get on with a good company! The school
    Is only $2400, so that’s not too bad!

Again, thanks so much!

G13Tomcat, Vic Firth and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Good choice. You'll have a lot better employment options doing it that way.

10. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Wow $2400 isn’t bad, I think I paid $1500 but that was back in 86. Good luck to you.

G13Tomcat, BubbRubb and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I paid about $2500 for a technical CDL school, and it was worth every penny. The instructors were great, got lots of one on one time behind the wheel, plus pretty comprehensive backing practice. I even got some parallel parking practice. They helped with truck inspection, and taught about trip planning and most of the regs in the classroom.
    They helped with job placement, and even followed up with me every few months the first year to make sure it was working out.
    You should have no problem hiring on with most carriers with a clean record, though it may take some time to find the company that fits you best.
    One more word, Avoid a lease purchase like the plague, at least until you have some years under your belt, then you will better know how some companies can screw you over!
    Best of luck driver!

G13Tomcat, BubbRubb and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.