couple TMC questions

Discussion in 'TMC' started by nerok9, Jul 28, 2007.

1. nerok9

nerok9 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Ok, i have read alot of post on this site about many companies, the good and the bad. My first career is getting ready to end and i have chosen my 2nd. I have narrowed my choices down to (in order) TMC and Rohel. I am lucky to have had the time to do the research and ask questions and get answers. I have heard alot of bad things about TMC and how they operate and how they force drivers to run illegal and alot of other things bad. Well i have had the pleasure to chat at lenght with TMC drivers. From 5 yrs to 2mos with the company. And it is my conclusion that TMC is a good company to work for. Now I'm not nieve and know that EVERY company has its problems. But YOU as the driver are the reason for your actions. Its all about responsibility, maturity, comon sense and the action you decide to take. TMC has first rate equipment and take pride in the way their trucks look. The main word in that sentence is PRIDE. I have looked at their safestat rating, and yes it is high but if you look at the write ups 85% are LOAD SECUREMENT. Now i may be wrong but its not the compant that does that its the driver. The rest are break problems, now thats a driver responsibility to report those. If i had break problems i definately would let that be known and not drive till they were fixed. All in all I'm saying that we as humans make mistakes but its a man/woman that own up to those and not blame the company.

bonbonsron Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    I talked to a TMC driver this last Friday and he was telling me about how they track you over the Qualcomm, not allowing you to drive illegal. They keep track of your 10, 11, and 14 hours, and will notify you of this fact. The driver I spoke to was awaiting a call from safety concerning the fact he was "late" in taking his 10 hr break, altho he was convinced he was correct and they were not.

4. nerok9

nerok9 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2007
    TMC is in the process of tryin to get their safety rating to a better score. They are taking the bull by the horns and trying to make sure their drivers aren't running illigal. I can put up with that. That in my eyes is the best thing happening. As i said in my previous post, EVERY company has their problems. TMC is dealing with the one they had. At least they are dealing with it.

5. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    As a current TMC driver I agree with your assessment. The Company is committed to operating in a safe and legal manner. There are drivers here (and at every company) that wish to break the rules. That is not the fault of the company. Every time that I have been unable to make a delivery at the scheduled time for any reason it has been rescheduled with no complaints, the key to that is letting you FM know early if there is a problem.

TMC now is using a macro that you send when you are departing the shipper after bing loaded. With that you detail the time you will arrive at the consignee, and how many hours you will have available on your 11, 14, and 70 hour clocks. They are then planning loads for you based on those estimates that you provide. This is trying to cut down on the number of "impossible" loads. It is working for the most part, sometimes the available freight just doesn't fit the mold properly, but it is a great plan. Just one more thing TMC is doing to make us more efficient.

With your attitude Nero you will make a fine addition to TMC. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

newtrucker10 and bonbonsron Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Crete took the unfortunate step of overcompensating for that terrible accident in Florida. Apparently, now they allow NO leeway WHATSOEVER with a driver's logs, which sometimes really complicates matters for the driver when he has to get to a place to shut down for the night.

TMC, I gather, is not quite so anal. My real problem with TMC other than what I've always heard about them pushing you to get that 5 loads a week done legally or otherwise, is that they don't reimburse tolls for the turnpikes in Ohio and Indiana. That's stupid. Why does a company do things like that when they can just write it off their taxes?

7. nerok9

nerok9 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2007
    With Crete, i really don't think it was them that made those steps. When you have a DOT officer in every terminal, dispatch office and HQ office you tend to have to come down hard on drivers that aren't following the rules. Because of their actions their safestat has gone from 99 to 66. That is a drastic down turn and better for the company. TMC has a high rating but they are being proactive and trying to keep the DOT out of their offices.

8. nerok9

nerok9 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Ok you open a can that i don't think you will have wanted to haha. Probably thw first question of many, when you were with your trainer did they run you as a team or did the trainer train and sit in the right hand seat. I don't agree with running trainers as teams. Their jobs are to TRAIN not sleep while they are suppose to train. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Nero

9. mDub

mDub Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Mooreville, MS
    I read on here somewhere about apperaance, can't find it now. anyway is ther a policy about facial hair or uniforms and such. also, do any of the rucks have apu's

10. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    Facial hair should be neatly trimmed. There are no uniforms, but you do need steel toe boots. Some shippers require long sleeve shirts.

There are a couple of trucks with the test APU's, but you won't get one.

mDub Thanks this.
  11. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    Is TMC test driving APU's? I can't picture a scenario where they wouldn't be a net gain dropping fuel consumption. Why would they not be for APU's? Is there something about APU's that make them undesirable? Honest question, I really don't know. Oh, and what about stubble? 5 o'clock shadow okay or do they want a baby's ### or neatly manicured face lawn?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.