Covenant mileage & safety stats (estimated)

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by double yellow, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    My last load wasn't Walmart... it was OTR. It reminded me of my old days when I was in the OTR regular fleet.... I'm definitely spoiled in this WM dedicated... no delivery appointments, no live unloads, no lumpers, no refused load, no OS&D... preplans days in advance, preloaded trailers.... everything runs so fast and so smoothly... like a well greased machine :yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I listened in on the quarterly investor conference call this morning - interesting stuff. Here are some tidbits:

~2850 company trucks under the ctg umbrella, (5% of them sit waiting for drivers!)
    ctg will add ~150 new trucks & retire 250 for the rest of the year (average tractor age is <2 years but slowly increasing)
    Average truck brought in a record-high $3300/week revenue

NW & midwest regions are slow
    SW dedicated is shrinking (was 500 trucks now 400) as better revenue available elsewhere
    West Coast is strong -- company takes poor rates east-to-west just to get their piece of the west-to-east market.
    Percentage of trucks running team is down slightly

The brass kept talking about their push to get more drivers into their own truck -- odd since I as a driver have never heard anything about their lease-purchase program (maybe they recruit after 1 year?)

finding & keeping good safe drivers remains challenging... company's solution is pay increases (mostly implemented)

On that last point I was a bit surprised that the focus on driver retention was so heavily weighted towards pay. Granted, my decision to come to covenant was primarily about expected 1st-year earnings, but whether or not I stay depends as much on how well I'm treated & how busy I stay. I hope brass considers driver morale too and implements improvements like apu's. And the thankyou thursday form messages are nice and all, but imo a personalized attaboy message after meeting a tight schedule on a critical account would go as far as a $0.005/mile raise...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  4. Wego4ut

Wego4ut Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Double Yellow, I read the release today for the 2nd quarter. Nice quarter and results. We've gone thru the ups and downs at Covenant and it's great to see these kinds of results. I kind of like the thank you thursday messages. As for APUs I think the old tripac models are going away. We met a team that's testing another in cab type of unit and they liked it. It was hooked to the battery and didn't require an inverter. They told us Covenant was testing several models. Good luck on the atta boys. Our fleet manager Wendy thanks us all the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.