Covenant. OMG we didn't know!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Mrs Tosh, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Mrs Tosh

Mrs Tosh Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Miami,FL
    Hello All,

I am new to this Forum. I am going to comeback and post an introduction but I am just so steamed. :biggrin_25516:
    I read Mrs redcoat's saga ( Thank you so much for the details and all of the responses were helpful).

Well here it goes. My trucker has been with Covenant since August and man oh man did they sell him a bag of crap. They promised him that it would be no problem in getting him home to FLORIDA when needed. Hometime ( sorry for the caps couldn't help it). Totally not true. He has been out for 6weeks now attempting to stick it out for 8 weeks so he could be home for Thanksgiving. Needless to say I purchased tickets for a weekend getaway (cruise) before he gets back on the road.

Now he gets a message over Qualcom that he and his team driver will only get 3 days off for Thanksgiving. No one told them about your off time restarting at zero once you hit 5 weeks out. ( thanks for the poster on Roadcoats thread.... I learned that one last night):biggrin_2551:. Ok so they have been on the road running like crazy, no problem with dispatcher because they have been money in his pocket. Why wouldn't they tell them about the restart of their offtime. They are new hire drivers. I am so steamed. And at this point I don't know if anything can be done. Does anyone know? Or does anyone who has or is driving for them, know who to contact? I don't want to cx the cruise because I lose a ton of money.. Plus it makes no sense for him to come down here for 2 days( $$$$).:biggrin_2552:

wwwwwheww Now onto the forced team driving. Farce complete Farce. They teamed him up with someone that lives nowhere near us, so the last time they were off the other guy was able to take the truck home and park it ( no cost to him ) while my guy had to get a flight from his partners hometown down and back up ( big cost to us) . The other guy never compromises. ( why not get a load into the Terminal and then you both pay to get to your homes.

Sorry if I am rambling. But I was just excited that I found a site where people are real. I was on another board that didn't let you talk about specific companies.

Off to work, can't wait to hear from you. I promise I will introduce myself later...

:biggrin_25526: Tosh

Baack, Harry Boland, Lurchgs and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    So sorry to hear that you all went with Covenant. They are WELL-known as a horrible company. Always have been. I remember when I started in 1994 they had that reputation even then...yet people still go there and get the screwing of their lives. I can fully understand your anger to be sure. GL, and my suggestion is to get as far away from Covenant as you can. Better off starting fresh than dealing with that as they, most certainly, will NOT change...

HemiRam and AfterShock Thank this.
  4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I would come home for thanksgiving like planned. Fax them written notice of quiting and take your cruise.

5. Mrs Tosh

Mrs Tosh Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Miami,FL
    Brickman -- :biggrin_25525:

last night we probably would have taken your advise; however, that would bring us back to square one with bill piling up. In March he hits his year mark and in Feb it makes 6 grooling months with Covenant. There is a company called Buske that is a refer company that requires that you are with a reputable company for 6 months.

I don't want me or the cruise to press him into walking off the job. But oh was he ready to just take his time as planned.:yes2557::biggrin_25510:

6. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Sounds like you're getting the 'Covenant Treatment'- that means BOHICA. Good luck, can you reschedule your cruise for another time of the year, like maybe between hubby's Covenant fiasco and the next (hopefully better) place? It's good you guys are looking elsewhere already, but may I suggest that Hubby's next move should be to somewhere he can have a career, instead of another driving job? I have driven for three seperate Cos., and now looking back on my experience I am tired of job hopping, and I'd bet that your hubby will be too. Just my $.02...

I ran my arse off for them, and while I got miles, my paycheck was never right. My 13 months there were rough, to say the least, but it did help me learn a lot about how the lousier companies work- so I do owe them a thanks there. Good luck and welcome to the forum, keep us posted on how things go!

7. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Tell your hubby to Call May Trucking they have a terminal in pensicola they are by far a better company than covenant. May pay's 30 cpm

The home time may still be an issue sometimes but he will not have to deal with a team partner and flying home.

May has loads comming out of a celing tile wharehouse down there so most of the time they can get him out on the road with no problem.

As long as he has not had any accident's or alot of tickets and can pass a road test he will be fine.

If he goes with then down there tell him to watch out for the railroad tracks down that way they have some doozies that will launch you from you seat. Trust me I did not belive my trainer and my dumb ##* had to learn ther hard way 15 mph is still too fast for them tracks.

8. MCR6468

MCR6468 Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Atlanta Ga
    good luck, there is no one to talk to there, i have tried and tried and all i get is a song and dance, as a solo i have sat for about 1 month total,between being told ther is no freight and being broke down. i have a post called "covenant transportation warning", read some,i am about ready to quit myself....go get a job washing dishes if i have to. i just sat 2 days in charlotte, was told again no freight and i am now on a dedicated account. again i called all the way up the flag pole after being given nothing from my -dm-. and again the same ole song and dance....i hope it works out for you...i am getting ready to leave them, and you know what? they really don't care they hire 75-100+ drivers a week......do the math.:biggrin_2554:
    best wishes.
    mcr&deb

9. TheOl'Grump

TheOl'Grump Bobtail Member

May 27, 2008
    Misery
    Run Forest Run And don't look back...........Really i was talkin to a Covenant Driver at a T/A he told me when he was running Team they only got 3,000 miles per week.Now since he is Solo that is cut in half and some weeks worse.This man was in the Reefer Div.

I was in school with a guy they told him to come on down to oreintation that he was pre-approved well we all know what that means.But the recruiter does nothing but lie's to this Kid.Just to get him to Chattnooga he says his driving record didn;t matter and tons of other crap,well he drivers the 600 miles to the cho-cho town sure enough he was the first one that was booted.I told him Lucky You

10. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Howdy Mrs Tosh. :hello2:

I have nothing constructive to add at this time, except ---
    Welcome to the forums.
    We're glad you found us. :yes2557:

11. aladdin sane

aladdin sane Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Towanda, Kansas
    It galls me so much to see beginner drivers have to go through this with these driver mill companies! I also find it hard to believe that drivers (beginners and veterans) allow this to happen.
    People, the first thing you should look at is a companies turnover ratio. If their turnover is 75 to 150% maybe you should see the handwriting on the wall, take your career seriously and not allow yourself to be put through this!
    Stay away from these large carriers that promise the moon!!

WiseOne Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.