CPAP apnea machines on the road

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Lynnie, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I snore and I am healthy LOL
    Primitive man needed to snore to keep the wild animals away
    Those nasal strips really don't work all that good
    Snoring is normally deep in the throat

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lyion

lyion Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2008
    TOANO VIRGINIA
    i wont to get back on the road went to a doctor today and told them i wonted to get back on the road i was told i couldn't unless i was off the machine .they wont me to do a nother sleep study ,its been 2 years now almost going on 3 years. i wont be goint back to this doctor hes not the one io did the sleep study with any way .they wont to do the sergery on me and i said no .i think there mad at me for not wonting to do it +myteeth aren't in good enuff shap to do the operration . they have sent my sleep dotor a had 2 years ago a letter for me to under go sleep study again .i sllep realy good now at night and dont get sleepy in the day time any more .can you give me more info on who is hiring or should i say do you no companys that will hire useing the machine . does your company no that you use a cpaps machine .not wonting too be nosey i just wont to no so i can get back on the road soon as possible . or you can e mail me please respond to me soonest ok .i wont to get my phsical as soon as possible so i can start the look for a company to drive for. jerry

4. lyion

lyion Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2008
    TOANO VIRGINIA
    i read your thread on sleep apnea to night , i have it and use the machine at night went to doctor they said they couldn't operate on me because my teeth aren't good enough to with stand the pressure use the device to open up my mouth in the operation . so i am wanting to no if i can get the info on laser surgery cutting the Ula down if you no any address are any thing on the article you read it would be good to get and try to see if i could get this done for me..here's my email address or leave me a message here . i don't have enough replies yet to ask you in a personal message .

5. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Check into Schneider National. They had a huge story a year ago or more regarding testing all their drivers and paying for cpap machines for all the drivers that had it (almost 50% if I remember right).

I work for Eastern Freightways. Their doctor is the one that approved me to return to duty after I was able to prove I was using the machine plus a "wakefullness study."

I am sure there are many other good companies out there that recognize a well rested driver is more valuable than a fresh from the cdl mill driver that has been untested and unproven.

Employers that refuse to hire drivers based on this issue are not worth your time.

I suspect once the federal government institutes mandatory testing for all obese drivers then this issue can be better understood. I beleive the majority of overweight and obeses drivers may actually have this issue but have learned to cope with it through the following;

1. Sleeping on their side rather than their back.
    2. Having a glass of water by the bedside to help moisten their throat through the night and open the airway.
    3. Taking naps during the day because they feel tired, sluggish or generally blah.
    4. Frequently waking up through the night due to supposed restlessness.

I for one believe it is better to use the machine and be sure to get a good nights rest rather than hide it and struggle to do your job each day due to unnecessary fatigue. The operation is an alternative as well but has mixed results from what I understand.

I mean the safe operation of our trucks down the highway in the hands of competent well rested drivers should be our first priority.

6. sphipps70

sphipps70 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and waiting for my cpap machine. Also, they have decided to remove my tonsels, reducing the size of my uvula and fixing my deviated septum. (Nose job).

After all this is done, I should be able to get a good nights sleep.

7. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    I think it truly wonderful that we have the ability to communicate with each other in such a forum.

Discussing major issues such as sleep apnea and the possible treatments available out there can educate and inform our fellow drivers. I know from personal experience (and alot of reading) I too had suspicions that I may have had sleep apnea but fear of being out of work and not wanting to take the time off of work to take the study was my reasoning for delaying testing.

In my case I disclosed my erratic sleep patterns to the company doctor that does our DOT physicals. She did her job and refused to pass me without a sleep study thus forcing me to address this issue. I really was angry at the doctor (and myself for mentioning it) but in retrospect I am glad it happened. At least I am healthier, more rested each day, and happier with my job overall.

I think any company that is too obtuse to recognize the benefits of testing AND proper treatment of drivers to continue doing their job safely have NO business being in business. Apparently these companies do NOT care about the health and wellbeing of their drivers or the motoring public. Policies from companies that actually penalize drivers that have sleep apnea will simply cause drivers to forego testing and "hide" their illness rather than lose their job.

8. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Many companies have rules that say no inverters unless you can plug them in however they are required by law to allow you to have one installed or do it themselves if you have a medical need for it.
    they do have 12 volt machines but I'd push for the inverter anyways, I sure do miss my microwave

9. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I know Schneider will install an inverter for you if you need it and have sleep apnea, I think that is their only exception to the big inverter rule they have.

My wife used to snore quite bad until she got her tonsils removed and they cut down that dangly thing. She sleeps much...less noisy, lol. But she never had a problem with sleeping as far as apnea.

Me on the other hand, she thinks I probably have it as my breathing is messed up when I sleep. Says I breathe and then stop for a few seconds and then breathe again. Id like to get a study done but can't afford it, not sure if the insurance covers it either.

Either way, if I did the study and found out I have it...Id make a darth vader mask just for the heck of it! lol.

10. Blackfire.58

Blackfire.58 Bobtail Member

May 1, 2008
    Story City, IA
    I drive for Prime. I had the suspicion I had sleep Apnea especially when my wife would smack me in the middle of the night and accuse me of not breathing. Snore? Like and earthquake.
    I had a little problem in my last physical with blood Pressure, doc scheduled me for an Echo after he did his own EKG. Next thing I knew I was on the table getting an angiogram. On the table, I fell asleep, the doc performing the angiogram suspected the Apnea and I was in for a sleep study that night.
    I've been on a CPAP now for almost 2 years. I have one in the truck and another at home for when I get there. I had no idea just what all the health issues involved with Sleep Apnea were, but I'm glad I'm on the machine.
    I still can't get a 2 year physical, but it's worth it to me to have the problem addressed and get myself a few more years behind the wheel and work at living alittle longer.
    Oh yea, I never had a problem nodding off and getting drowsy driving. But sit in a chair out of the drivers seat and I'd fall asleep in the middle of a conversation. Turns out the problem was alot more drastic than I thought.

11. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    Another issue to check on using a CPAP in a truck is the type of invertor you use.

Normal invertors sold in truck stops create modified sine wave power. This is OK for most types of use.

Some CPAP machines due to the electronics in the machine need pure sine wave power (nice curves on a scope versus square on a scope). Also you may burn out the motor on your CPAP quicker using modified since wave power (took 3 years.. but)..

Check the details on your CPAP machines user's manual or contact the manufacturer of the CPAP maching about invertor use. Some CPAP machines come with 12-volt power supply systems. Yet, many of the 12-volt power systems do not handle the heat/hunidification part of the CPAP. So sometimes you need to do some checking.

Good Luck with your CPAP

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.