CPAP Compliance and Medical Cards

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by cjwatson1972, Aug 1, 2018.

1. cjwatson1972

cjwatson1972 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Clinton Township, MI
    This week I was sent for a physical and the person giving it (a PA, not a doctor) told me that with my good 30-day CPAP compliance report, he would give me a 3-month card. He said I need a 90-day report to get a 12-month card. (Because of my blood pressure history, I don't ever qualify for two years.) In the 3 years since getting my CPAP, a 30-day report has always gotten me certified for 12 months. This guy insists that he's following the law and everyone else who ever gave me a year was wrong.

I can't find a definitive rule on this. Any web search produces studies and debates about sleep apnea in trucking, but no definitive compliance/medical certification guidelines. Is there an answer, or are we all subject to the whims of random clinicians?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    I am in the process of getting a cpap machine. I emailed fmscA about any rules they have on compliance and the emailed me back saying they have no rules on it. But leaves it up to doctor decretion.

bigwallmike and cjwatson1972 Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My doctor wanted to see a 1 year CPAP report to get 1 year card. I don't know if that just him. He would give me a 3 month card untill I could show him a years data. So I just got a years data for him to get 1 year card

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    cjwatson1972 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In other words pay him 4 visits until that precious data is generated. Money grubber.

I better not say anymore. I increasingly view this medical examiner situation as personal whimsy more than actual hard regulations. THAT makes life needlessly difficult for everyone.

I don't believe a Physican's Assistant has the Horses to evaluate you medically. Have a doctor do that. If that doctor cannot be bothered with you then find one who will be bothred with you.

Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There is a program called Sleepyhead that you can download off the net. I just put the sd card into my laptop and I can print my own reports. Don't know if your doc will accept that.

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    No it was not like that. He said I can give you a 30 day card now and when you bring the data in he would give me a 1 year card. I could also get the data that day and he would give me a 1 year card. I got the data that day.

So now I know to get the 1 years data before my physical.

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My doctor, and probably all want to see the official data report. I have a ResMed CPAP. The people that sold my machine will download the data for free and use the ResMed software to make an official data report.

My CPAP has wireless data reporting but I still have get the data from the SD card

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The PA for the op wrong for one simple fact. There is no legal requirement for CPAP, so there is no laws any way on how the reports are used.

I've heard some want a 30 day, some want a 90 day, and some want a year for DOT compliance. It's 100% up to the Doc on what he wants to see.

In any case, simply go to a doctor that does not require the sleep study / CPAP scam.

06driver Thanks this.
  10. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    There is no guidance because Congress passed a law banning them from applying it to a physical without following the rule making process.

You should have a lawyer contact this Dr and inform him you are filing suit for fraudulent medical practices, medical malpractice, and collusion to interfere with your earnings.

The more of the ####### we can put on notice the better.

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Yes Congress did pass that law that any sleep apnea regs have to come down through the formal rulemaking process. Bu unfortunatley the FMCSA whille saying they are complying with Congress, continue to issue "guidance" to the dot docs that tells them to look for sleep apnea. Some doc follow this guidance and some don't. Maybe Ray Martinez will change the way the FMCSA looks at this. I'm not holding my breath on that though.

06driver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.