Crackerbox

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by North Pole Nightmare, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    To tip up the cab on a crackerbox, just release the locks and pull the cab by the handle on the front.

cke, Boondock, Kyle G. and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
    I drove a 6-71T for Central Transport in the 80s that would pull 40K in the box like it was almost empty, another driver drove it once and would come in a half hour early to get that truck. That only happened twice , It got "disabled" when I parked it (I was on the casual board)

cke, beastr123, Boondock and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    A 6-71 is like some girls I've dated..
    They make alot of noise and you think your getting big things done... but your pretty disappointed with the perforamce

cke, beastr123, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    You sure it wasn’t a CO-4000 or a 4070A? The B came out in ‘74 and there wasn’t many people choosing a 238 Detroit for the power plant.

cke, wis bang, Boondock and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    But those 2 strokes were bulletproof.

cke, Last Call and Boondock Thank this.
  7. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Have quite a few miles on a Crackerbox, 238, 5 speed, 2 speed axle. While it is fun to look back, those things were just tin box rattle traps, doors didn't seal worth a crap, cold in the winter and hot in the summer, wet in the rain, rode like a box of rocks and pretty loud. Can't remember if the ones I drove had power steering or not. Sometimes if you pushed the fuel shut off back in after shutting it off, it would run backwards. Ahh the good ole days!

8. Jubal Early Times

Oct 17, 2022
    I remember seeing one that had independent front suspension. Does anybody know if that was an experimental thing? I haven’t been around many and they were before my time. I have never seen another one. And yes it was factory as this truck was in a scrap yard and had been for at least 20 years. This was probably around the late 90’s

9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

Yea I’m quite certain. I personally rode in that Transtar ll the day I went with dad on a road call to fix it. Weed was broke down on route 23 close to pikeville Kentucky. Nothing but a belt broke but down just the same. This was in 1982…?

Weedhopper drove for a company called Imperial Bedding out of Huntington WV.
    If memory serves me, it was a 1979 - 1981 model.

The owner of Imperial Bedding had a yard truck that the owner used personally.
    His yard truck was a international Fleetstar with a 6-71 and straight exhaust.

Neal. (Weedhopper)’s truck was one of the last of the Detroit powered trucks, everything was Cummins after that for a good while.

Weedhopper always said the trick to driving a 6-71 was to never let the antifreeze touch the front of the radiator lol…..

cke, beastr123 and Jubal Early Times Thank this.
  10. Jubal Early Times

Oct 17, 2022
    Interesting. I would have figured an 8v or a 6v but never a 6-71. I wonder why they would have spec’d that? I mean at that time there were way better options.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    cke and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  11. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

Homer Cochran ( RIP Sir) was the man behind ordering trucks. He seem to have a soft spot for the 6-71, but he was tight too.

I recall him asking dad to be the one that worked on his Detroit powered trucks. seems he had a bad experience with a less knowledgeable mechanic at some point.

If memory serves me, Homer spec’d all the trucks with 300 Cummins after those trucks were put out of service….

cke and beastr123 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.