Cracking rubber air lines... is there a way to fix?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by HopeOverMope, Jun 4, 2020.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    That makes sense! Thanks. Yeah the only part that’s cracked is that little part espoused to the sun: the rest is covered up by a protective sheath I guess it’s called.

4. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    You know, your right. I’m just a “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me” type of guy lol. I had a coiled plastic line break on me in the freezing conditions. That blocked like 9 truck drivers in their spot at TA in PA! Luckily it was like 2 am and everybody seemed asleep. I didn’t realize I could of borrowed the blue line to get me out the way. Nobody came out to help lol and I understand it was like 20 degrees! I hate trying to get those plastic lines started on the threads too on the truck side. It’s like you have to awkwardly twist the whole line around in circles to get it started lol but of course, Once you get it started it’s easy.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The cheap coiled lines can be repaired also. They get brittle near the glad hand ends. Break when turning. Same thing, cut new end, new compression brass ferrule, Quick .20 repair. I’ve done a few times. The glad hand handles help to keep from putting pressure on the hose when hooking up, another cause of cracking.

Dino soar and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  6. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    So plastic gets brittle near glad hands earlier than the rest of the hose? Why? Doesn’t make sense, since the whole length of the plastic hose is under the same conditions (sun, rain, snow etc.). I only grab metal parts (glad hands) When I touch my air lines.

Rideandrepair and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  7. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Never had that issue. I’m driving this 2015 truck since new. Last winter I replaced both air hoses, because they were losing color. I figured they were getting brittle. Truck had around 450K miles.

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010

Put your tractor 70 degrees to the trailer, then hop out and look at your lines. They are stressed the most at the glad hand connection. Even if you only touch the metal portions as you hook/unhook, the line still flexs at the connection.

If I have a small leak at the gladhands I check the grommets first, the tractor hose glad hand connection second, and the trailer hose to gladhand connection last.

9. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    I decided to get some of these brass couplers, with compression fittings inside. I’ll see how they look once installed and decide on all new lines or not. If not I’ll have some good back up brass couplers. If the protective sheath around the lines weren’t so coiled, I’d just build a new hose... I still might can do that. If I cut the ends of the old hose, pull it out the protective layer, and somehow fish the new one through before I put the hose ends on. CC29819F-5043-4722-B7F1-55156BBDF3F5.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    You must stay down south all winter. I’ve seen relatively new plastic lines snap in very cold temps.

Rideandrepair, Doealex and gentleroger Thank this.
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Replaced my 16 month old service line in January because of a hairline crack at the connection. 3 weeks later coming out of the house my red line snapped hooking to the first trailer. When I unhooked the service line, I cracked it too. Guess sitting hung up for 3 days in an ice storm then subzero weather is hard on plastic, eh?

Rideandrepair and mitrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.