Craziest thing you have ever seen driving on the road!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Sitting at one of the truckstops off I-81 in Virginia one afternoon where it's really hilly. The truck entrance to the truck stop goes down a steep hill (truck parking is way below road level). Super trucker pulls in and as he is slowing down going down the hill, somehow one of his trailer duals keeps going and passes him, barrelling into the lot. It was on the far side from where I was so couldn't see how this occurred. Pretty sure the dual hit a truck over on that side of the lot. For some reason this guy manuevered all around the parking lot over the next several hours missing his duals on his left rear tandem. It had a benny hill scene feel to it.

I was like WTH? Not sure he even realized he was missing 2 wheels. Every time I would look up here he is again manuevering across the lot 2 wheels short.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    slow.rider Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I can’t tell all the crazy things I have seen. Not enough space on this website, it would crash the site.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Oh, oh, is that a train horn I hear?

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  5. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Craziest things I've seen? Today or yesterday?

Opus Thanks this.
  6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Pictures or it didn’t happen.

slow.rider and WesternPlains Thank this.
  7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I passed a wreck on I-80 east of Reno where the driver of a four-wheeler had been ejected from the vehicle. The body was covered with a sheet, but the head had been severed and was lying about 5 feet away, in full view of the motoring public.

Badmon Thanks this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You'd think that was left as a deterrent, but speed on, folks. I read, of the approx. 54,000 accidents where the occupants not belted in were ejected, 77%, died.

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  9. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The front of the RV was far worse.

20210114_112502.jpg

But to the original point, craziest things?

Load of lumber on a set of Rocky Mountain doubles. He somehow got the pup into the median (it was blizzard conditions,) and left the pup's load setting square in the middle of the left lane. Luckily someone hollered on the radio about a cop running into it, or someone else would have got it. We were running the left lane so we could see the edge of the median, as there was zero visibility out the front window. Found the truck on the shoulder a few miles later, with his pup completely upside down. I bet that was a fun phone call!

Then there was the jeep up in Quebec, running along the north shore of the St. Lawrence, rubbing one out. I'm still not sure where he was hiding the donkey. :eek:

Or maybe the mini-convoy of Carolina stick haulers who managed to all get together when traffic stopped. All 4 from the same company, and only the front one was gonna drive away.

A few instances of 4 wheelers spinning out as they passed and spun in front of the truck so closely I lost them behind the hood as they went off the road. That issue is thankfully much reduced now that there's so few RWD cars on the road.

But probably the craziest happened on the I-40 bridge that the barge took out. I'm EB, and see a pile of WB cars up ahead, with people walking everywhere. I also see marker lights cresting the hill east of the bridge. And it was slick!

I'm hollering on the CB, flashing lights, desperately hoping to catch their attention, but it was too late. That truck went into those cars and people still moving pretty quickly, right as I was going by the other direction. I couldn't stop there (hazmat) but did have a rare at the time cell phone, and was able to get the hipo rolling that way.

Next morning, walking around truck as I'm unloading, I see a spray of dried blood, 3' long and 4" wide, on the tank under the hose tubes. It's possible I'd hit an animal I hadn't seen, but I don't think that's where it came from. I called the OHP station to let them know what I'd found, but never heard anything back. And being pre-internet, there was no way to easily find any info on the accident. But the sight of those people running amongst the cars as they realized that truck wasn't stopping was something that's stuck with me.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    It was still an active scene when I passed. I'm sure the undertaker took both the head and the body when he left.

201 Thanks this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Then there was the time, early 2000's, I did a line haul from Milwaukee to Madison, 2 runs a night, and it took me over the Hoan Bridge. One night, I come over the bridge, had 44,000 on, near the top, I felt a dip I never felt before, didn't think much of it, I get to the terminal, the boss says, "Don't go over the Hoan Bridge, it's crumbling apart",,, I said, okay, I just came over it,,,:biggrin_2554:

EuropeanTrucker, bzinger and Hammer166 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.