Creepy roads. That freak you out.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Intothesunset, Jun 2, 2019.

1. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    Beware, there's a haunted stretch of route 287 in NJ that is notorious for sending 4wheelers crashing into each other on sunny, dry and otherwise uneventful days.

speedyk and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    There are a couple of nasty center-merges in New Jersey (ie; two lanes that crash together with lanes on either side of THAT that can cause trouble. One of them I know they fixed recently on the southbound turnpike around Newark/South Kearny. Not sure why anybody decides that’s a bright idea in the first place.

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Right. I don’t think they enforce that on that little 20 mile or so stretch of 212 in WY.

DougA Thanks this.
  5. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I go to this EOG site in the middle of nowhere. One night I'm loading and in these junk cars across the street a little light flips on.

6. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    There are a few spots. And bars along the way.

Never stop in Sheridan at the fying j.

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  7. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Once in a blue moon,Wyoming had a little DOT pickup with a camper they would set up on that little stretch,all trucks stop,and they'd collect a little money,back in the day. Also,there used to be a truckstop at Colony,by the Bentonite plant,but I believe it closed in the 70's or 80's.

8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    212 never bothered me. I’d always run it at high speed like the cow haulers since it was usually pretty empty. Never in winter though since it looks like it could be nasty.

The only road I ever was concerned about was running 93/318 from Wells to I15 north of Vegas in the middle of the night. I left Elko in the evening after work, and made it to Vegas about 3:00. I imagine there’s lots of bodies buried along that route. 93 from Jackpot to Wells also sucked. Used to leave Twin Falls about 2:30 AM so I could make it to work in Elko by 5:00. What a lonely road at night especially in the winter. I made fresh tracks through the snow many times. When the road was dry I’d run it over 100. The cop from Jackpot who patrolled it flashed his lights at me a few times, but never chased me down.

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    The one thing to keep in mind with both 90 and 212, if you have a breakdown while on Crow Agency land, you better have a big stick or a boomstick handy. It's hard enough to get a tire shop or wrecker when it's light, at night it's even harder. Talked to a tire guy in Scottsbluff recently who used to work for a place out of Billings, he said any time they did service calls on Crow, they either had a two man crew, or were armed.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Really? Sounds just downright dangerous to me.

11. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    There's a portion of US 61 in Wisconsin that freaks the heck out of me. Now, bear in mind that when I was running that part of the country, I was not saved. I was a complete atheist and didn't believe in any of that supernatural ooga-booga stuff.

It's this one part, about 60 miles from La Crosse, where the road through the forest opens up into a clearing/meadow, nothing weird about it. It's not like satanic sculptures or two-headed rednecks are on display. Most of the times I went through there it was broad daylight...

...and every time, it immediately hit me why Wisconsin breeds things like Ed Gein and Jeffery Dahmer. I stood on the hammer with both feet trying to GTFO ASAP. Someone told me it was an old Indian battleground, and while I can't confirm it, it makes as much sense as any other explanation.

tarmadilo and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.