CRETE Questions

Discussion in 'Crete' started by Varmit, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Varmit

Varmit Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Hey there. I am getting ready to head to orientation next week or so. I have a year already on the road with another carrier but have of course questions for Crete veterans out there.

What is the deal with logs. What exactly is the process for logging they follow? A heads up will help a lot with my orientation.

Have you found it hard to work the west coast to all points east?

Can a new driver find 2000 mile trips?

And any tidbits of counsel would be highly prized.

How are they on directions via qualcom?

Thanks

Varmit

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Varmit

Varmit Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Hey there. I just got my marching orders.

Going to be on the 3 week trainer evaluation plan at $600 a week.

They are paying for a car rental, Ontario California to Lincoln, Nebraska. I am impressed. No greyhound for these guys.

They will reimburse for the hotel on the road.

They pay for orientation, though that's a given these days.

Pay for hotel over orientation. Also a given.

Require all Crete drivers to purchase own load locks and Kingpin puller. Will do a paycheck deduction with no upfront cost.

Do not have to refill the entire application out once in orientation. They print it off for you from your online one. Other Carriers make you fill the whole thing out again.

They have been top notch thus far. I have read the negative experiences of other forum members and I am there with you. Its a terrible world out there, but God is good. IF it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

Getting back on the road soon.

Varmit

4. Varmit

Varmit Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    You are responsible for purchasing your own Rand McNally Trucker's road atlas.

Mine is covered in duct tape and is a 2005.:biggrin_25519:

Should be fine.

Varmit

5. grebdap

grebdap Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Hope all goes well for you, I will be at Lincoln on 6/27-28/07. Maybe we will be there at the same time? I will be on the Wal-Mart dedicated route for them. It will cover OK, AR, KS, MO in parts. They have been on the up and up so far. I like what I am hearing and seeing so far....I will let everyone know how things are going once I get on the road for them.... :biggrin_25525:

6. grebdap

grebdap Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Do any of you Crete veterans know how to get the top 25% salary posted on their web site?

If you go cretecarrier.com and look at their OTR or dedicated opportunities, they show two different annual salaries, one is an avg. salary and one is a top 25% salary.

What is the difference and what do you have to do to get the top 25%?

Does that mean running 365 days a year and never being home or what?

:biggrin_2555:Thanks for all your help!

7. Varmit

Varmit Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Hey there. I will be there 6/25 and 6/26. Then head out with a trainer for 3 weeks.

How do you log your time when you do a drop and hook at walmart?

And what do you do if you arrive, then wait 45 min in line and then get processed? Do you show yourself in the sleeper for the 45? Or do you have to log it all on OnDUTY NOT driving?

Log it as you do it seems to lead me to lose 45 minutes on my 70 waiting in line.

Varmit:biggrin_2554:

8. grebdap

grebdap Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Varmit, I am not sure how to log the time at the stores. I would assume it will be on duty not driving. This being WM dedicated and just servicing the stores that are connected to the Bartlesville, OK DC, I don't think HOS will be to much of a problem. Enjoy your stay in Lincoln, and make sure all the staff is in a good mood for me when I get there on Wednesday! LOL

Thanks, grebdap

9. Sircorona

Sircorona Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2007
    howz it going out there for you guys? I'm getting ready to go to school in a couple of weeks and am trying to get through the maze of employers. As of today I think Crete will be at the top of my list. Look forward to hearing your feedback.

10. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Don't see any recent post from you guys so hope all is well out there. If you haven't figured it out, warehouse time is sleeper or off duty, your call.
    1/2 hour total load or unload time for both live loads and drop and hooks unless you physically have to be on the dock or in the trailer, then they want it logged in full. Live unloads I have always logged 15 minutes check-in, then go to sleeper, then another 15 minutes complete load/unload when I leave.
    I know they are now being upfront about the strict logging in orientation so you know Crete is now a "log it as you drive it" company. A paperless log company with paper you might say. Traffic, bad weather, accidents, any delays get added to you driving time. Their new slogan "At Crete There Are No Short Cuts" is a sly reference to no longer 'fudging' the log book to save 15 minutes here or there.
    If you've read my recent posts, you know I have my beefs and just quit after 10 years but I'm honest enough to say they are still probably the best in the industry to work for, just be ready to do what they say whether you like it or not and to toe the line in regards to logging hours. Have fun and stay safe, I've never known the Acklie companies to ever push a driver beyond the law or safety.

ref salary, I run very easlily, I don't push to deliver early to run as many hours as I can (never understood the reason why I would want to shut down for 34 hours in an unpredicted spot once a week instead of trying to smooth in 8 hour days for as many days as I want to run). Running that way I made their average, not below. I think the top 25% probably is the hard runners - you get an extra 8 hours a week that way that can translate to about 400 miles/$160 which is another $6-8,000 per year.
    Pushin' hard aint worth 5 grand for this ole boy, I drive for the pleasure, not the paycheck LOL!

11. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Heres a crete question. If you apply for crete, are you going to be considered for Schafer and Hunt jobs too? Or do you need to apply to all three?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.