Crew cab tandem tractors

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by wheelofgrime, May 28, 2024.

1. wheelofgrime

wheelofgrime Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2024
    I own a small multidisciplinary construction company and I'm thinking of setting up a crew cab tractor to run from Maine to PA/NJ and maybe beyond pulling various job trailers. I currently have a 28' van setup with certain trade tools. The idea would be to setup additional trailers depending on what we're doing and just back under the trailer we need and hit the road. I'm thinking tandem because I dont want to buy/build such a specialized rig and then run out of capacity if I start running heavier trailers with it. For example, maybe setting up a concrete form trailer with a knuckleboom one day.

My rationale for this is that manpower is sadly a revolving door and it's hard to find good help. So I would like to consolidate driving responsibilities as much as possible. A crew cab with a bench up front seats five plus the driver (me) and that's a good size crew.

But I'd like the tractor to have some flatbed space in front of the fifth wheel for picking up crap at a supply yard or whatever. Big stuff would go in a cantilevered lumber rack over the cab, I think. This way, if the job only requires one truck and one trailer, or I just can't find a solid employee to drive a second truck, I can just drop the trailer and take the tractor.

I know I can order a new International HV setup as a crew cab. I'm not sure what wheelbases they have but I know they a setback front axle in both single and tandem drive configurations. Has anyone ever seen a tractor with a small flatbed space? I know what I am asking is unusual and not for 99.99% of users out there but it could work well for me.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Sure have.
    long-deck-1024x803-1217268000.jpg 1993-whitegmc-cabover133115285239-4-2978659792.jpg 9cf0cb9642adf5c701aefa01bcb78d79--van-classic-trucks-2782057847.jpg

wheelofgrime Thanks this.
  4. wheelofgrime

Jan 18, 2024
  5. wheelofgrime

Jan 18, 2024
    I found them. Zoomed in on your picture. "Cab rack droms" is what protech calls them. Very cool thank you IH Truck Guy!

IH Truck Guy Thanks this.
  6. ElmerFudpucker

ElmerFudpucker Medium Load Member

May 17, 2024
    Dromedary can get them as a flat or as a box

7. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    2011 FREIGHTLINER BUSINESS CLASS M2 106 For Sale in Sacramento, California

Could probably mount a flatbed on something like that. The problem I can see would be loading too much weight on it and potentially causing your steering axle to be overweight. The linked truck has a 14.6k front axle, so it might be enough.

The trucks we drove in CDL school had the sleeper berth redone to have bucket seats with safety restraints, so there were up to 4 of us sitting along the back wall. I'm not sure if you could find a tandem axle, long wheelbase model with a booth in the sleeper and add seatbelts to make them legal. You could probably even remove the side cabinets and add more seats along the side. Same problem as before, though. 4 people in the back and a decent load on the catwalk/flatbed area would add considerable weight to the steer axle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.