Cross member replacement

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Red Viking, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Red Viking

Red Viking Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2017
    I have to have 7 cross members replaced. Plus 6 feet of flooring replaced down the center of a 5 axle flatbed. I got an estimate with 7000 in labor. I'm planning on getting a second estimate. I'm just wondering if anyone has had work like this done. Does this sound close. Their telling me they'll have at least 120 hours of labor in that little bit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    It's costly, that's all I can say.
    They did a bunch of stepdecks for chicken trailers where I drive from, these were steel and wood. Made them quite a bit heavier, too. It's quite a job.

4. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I had 12? crossmembers replaced and the boards replaced back in 09. It came out to around 3000. It was done at a professional trailer shop but they mase it clear they didn't make a lot of money on the job when the dust settled. If you pull the boards and prep the trailer they should discount it signifigantly. Pita job. They cut some of the new ones in half and welded them back together in the trailer to make the job easier/faster/cheaper. Kindof hillbillyish imo but l never had any issues with them afterward. That was on a 6 axle pulling steel.

Another Canadian driver and cke Thank this.
  5. Red Viking

Jun 16, 2017

6. Red Viking

Jun 16, 2017
    Their quote is doing what you said. Their going to cut the cross members in half and weld them in the center. This is an insurance job. So I needed an estimate. This shop has done work for me before. Nothing this big. I've never had an issue with their quotes before this one.

7. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    What happened to the crossmembers ? Why did they need replacing

Another Canadian driver and SAR Thank this.
  8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Old trailer with substandard hardwood and lightweight floor crossmembers and not as many stub crossmembers as they should have. Lots of coils hauled shotgun over the years. The crossmembers will slowly crush. Whenever you see the floor lower than the frame flanges theres a good chance thats whats happening.

9. 1951 ford

1951 ford Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Goddard, KS
    That's quite a job, by the time you remove decking, brace the main beams (so they go back to or stay parallel), cut out and weld in new cross members, paint and redeck. Does that quote include materials, or just labor? If the cross members are sagging, chances are the main beams are already being pulled closer together.
    I'm saying this with the caveat of not seeing the trailer, just going off of what you have said.

10. Red Viking

Jun 16, 2017

11. Red Viking

Jun 16, 2017
    The 7000 is just labor.. I got the trailer at a second shop. Just to check. It seemed high, but I don't have any thing to go off of..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.