CRST CONTRACT ISSUES - please read!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Lilo214, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Lilo214

Lilo214 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2017
    I went to CRST in October of 2015. The first day at the school, a safety manager handed out papers for us to sign before we got started. I and a few others asked to have the rest of the contract to read, and she said there wasn't time for that, and that we would get a copy when we returned to the terminal. Now, keep in mind - we only got the signature pages - nothing else - the other pages I have seen were not even initialized, and those are the ones with the contract information on them.

Once we were done with our "training" (and I use that term very loosely, as a week and a half, mostly classroom work, is really not enough time for "training"), we were given lists of names of potential trainers. I ended up with two total, for 21 days. The first one had to go on hometime, and they wanted me to finish without waiting for him. After that, we were given another list - of potential co-drivers. Some of the students were non-smokers, some had allergies, some were LGBTQ, and others did not want to pair with a member of the opposite gender. I fell into a few of the categories.

I kept hearing the same thing, you need to work for us for 10 months. During my downtime, I would drive the company shuttle or do other random duties to make some extra money. I eventually paired with a co-driver, and we drove together until July 2016. We got into a disagreement and parted ways, but we spoke to each other a few times afterward, wanting to drive together again. My last communication with my DM was in August 2016.

Please do NOT say I did not fulfill my contract, because in MY opinion I did. Two times at the beginning, I was pressured into getting on trucks with people I only "knew" from a short meet-n-greet or conversation, once with a woman who was blogging to her friends where and when we were delivering, and what. One time, we were hauling a $3M super rack. We could have been killed for that. I filed a grievance with HR.

A few months ago, I received notice that a company would not hire me because CRST was threatening to sue them. They sent me a copy of the letter. I have been driving now for three years, I have no accidents or citations, and all 10 of my DOT inspections were good. I have not been offered any jobs yet. I contacted a legal firm, and they tried to get the collection agency to come down on the amount they claim I owe, but they would not budge. Now, the lawyer is pissed, and has agreed to help me. No charge to me, so I firmly believe we will win. If they had done the RIGHT thing, and prorate the amount down, then I may have worked with them. After all, they take $40 a week (minimum) out of your check to pay them back. So, $40 times 4 weeks per month, times 7 or 8 months equals $1100 - $1200, plus we were driving 5000-6000 miles a week, but getting paid only .25cpm-.33cpm. You know we were making money for them.

Do I feel guilty for not paying $8000 (yup, with the collection fees, that's what they want). NOPE.
    If anyone is interested in a possible class action suit, please send me a message with your contact information. I WILL NOT pass your information on to the lawyers until we have spoken and you give me permission.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    First mistake was signing a contract without reading the entire contract! "There's no time for that" they say. "Make time" I say, or I don't sign.

Rollr4872, Dennixx, drvrtech77 and 4 others Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Opinions vs Contract is pissing upwind, all you are going to do is get messed up.

Therefore you did not fulfill your 10 month contract.

I have bent over backwards on two things in life. Pay cash for your trucking school tuition even if you had to do it through the State Rehabilitation board. Arkansas has one and they were a force of nature to unconfuse us after 2001 and pointed us in the correct direction when we could not do it for ourselves being emotionally and medically challenged with so many issues that year in 2002.

The second thought is really simple. Any time a SUIT says we don't "Have time for this" that affects your entire FUTURE short term, you stand up and say I want my copy to read right here right now before I sign a #### thing. OR walk out and find your transport home.

Any time a SUIT says "Don't have time for this" is a sales high pressure tactic to make sure you sign the #### thing and don't know what you are REALLY getting into. Chances are if the class of 50 or however many read it or had it read to them in a way they could understand, they would probably get up and leave.

If I was a SUIT and have a captive audience (That's 50 of you) I WILL make leisurely time for all of you to understand what you are getting into.

Coover Thanks this.
  5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    You signed a contract you didnt read now you wanna lawyer up?

Broke Down 69 and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  6. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    If I was smart enough to read. I would be in another line of work. Maybe a CEO somewhere!

Concorde, Broke Down 69 and Lonesome Thank this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I read all contracts.
    One company I was already at came out with a new contract. I sat at the guys desk for twenty minutes reading it before I signed it.
    He said out of 150 truckers only six of us read it.

8. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I seriously doubt the contract would hold up in court if was never read or initialed. The signing sheet alone means nothing.

Lilo214 Thanks this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I've seen a couple of articles where CRST did win. But even if they have never won, it doesn't matter. What matters is the chilling effect of the threat.

If you had two applications, one has a previous company threatening to sue, which one would you hire? Everything else being equal, of course.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.