crst school

Discussion in 'CRST' started by Dawg Gone, Jun 23, 2010.

1. fender211

fender211 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga
    ok, signing off, ( girlfriend thinks I'm nuts chatting online with "truckers"), let me know how your team mate goes and how you like CRST.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Temptinfates

Temptinfates Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Cartersville, Ga.
    1. The truck key will need to be turned on. You will learn about it. just pay attention to it.
    2. From school you go to orientation for 4 days in either CR or OKC, most likely a long greyhound ride there.
    3. If you make it through orientation, you go with a trainer for 28 days. This is where they pay you 350 a week.
    4. My trainer dropped me off at truckstop near my house where I had my wife pick me up. He didn't abandon me there.
    5.you will be out with trainer for 28 days -- if things are going well. Some trainers are not like the guy I went out with. I feel lucky. But, it's a two way street between you and your trainer. You will be in close quarters for three weeks. Depending on your trainer, whether they are company or o/o, availability of loads, weather, etc.... your experience may be different. Consider this phase as an extended job interview.
    5. This is a business. Sometimes things are dictated by the business-in this case freight. You will not learn it all in one day. Sometimes it's hard sitting and not moving, but, it costs to move without a load. It also costs to sit. Imagine if this were your trucking business and that you had to pay for everything. Watch how much it costs to fuel up for an example.
    6. CDL school gets you a CDL. Your trainer has a short time to TRY to teach you enough to do the job and do it safely, and to make sure you have a clue about this industry. So, consider his predicament also.
    7. Some trainers are very good as was mine. That's not always the case, and I have heard horror stories, such as trainers requiring their trainees to clean the truck in their bra and panties. Not all trainers are the same. Some just care about the extra money they may receive for training--not that you actually can read a map, operate a qualcom, and be able to think for yourself. Some could care less if
    you actually learn about such things as bridge law regulations, height restrictions or road restrictions. Some have had trainees driving on their logbooks. Not trying to scare you off, but if things aren't right, request another trainer.
    8. Develop good habits. Do your part. If you pull into a shipper or consignee, get up (out of sleeper). Show you have some drive to you and willing to learn. Clean the windshields, help uncouple/couple--if you don't know-ask. Walk around and inspect vehicle. My point---the trainer ( a good one) can only teach you as much as you are willing to learn. Avoid arguments and hot-headedness.
    9. Do the most you can do to ensure a professional relationship and keep it that way with your trainer, shipper, consignee, fleet manager, or anyone else you come into contact with. Your actions reflect not only on yourself, but the company you work for.
    10. Strive to learn and better yourself and you will be fine. Don't stress out on minor backing errors when the lot is empty. It will take a long time to master backing-or to be proficient at it.

I hope you get a decent trainer, but remember, they have stories to tell about trainees, too. Just trying to help. Hope this does. Perhaps I provided too much info. There is a whole lot to learn, and some of it takes time. Getting the CDL is just the start of it. You seem pretty intelligent, so, I would think you would do fine. I throw some of this out there to open it up some. Books and school are cool, but, sometimes the real world requires you to do other things. It takes a small amount of wisdom sometimes to know the difference.
    Temptinfates

NDBADLANDS and fender211 Thank this.
  4. Temptinfates

Apr 21, 2010
    Cartersville, Ga.
    That's another thing. Girlfriends and wives. It takes a lot of understanding and a special gal for you to go off trucking, etc. Please consider that.
    Temptinfates

5. alexandbaby2002

alexandbaby2002 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2010
    New Recruits of CRST... ask your Recruiter about your pay!!!! Beaware of they pay .22 a mile minus taxes. i think it equalls to .12 amile with thier calculations and they do Not pay wait or layover. you may get stuck some where for days waiting on a load!!!! o yea you have to drive about 15000 miles with a trainer before you team with someone else!!!!! you will not get that many miles in 3wks

6. Temptinfates

Apr 21, 2010
    Cartersville, Ga.
    1. my trainer and i ran about 19k in 3 weeks.
    2. the pay is not a secret. I would hope that anyone that is considering CRST has already considered pay issues.
    you can consider 22 cents for half the miles or half the cpm for all miles. Its the same.

Oh my. A company would actually want you to drive a certain amount of miles before they just turn you loose with a 80 thousand pound vehicle on the public roadways...shame on them.
    Temptinfates

fender211 Thanks this.
  7. fender211

fender211 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga
    dang..umm lets see..6000 miles in one week = 6000/.11 = $545 thats better than unemployments $350 wk....still 1/4 what I made last year but who am I to #####....
    Temptin ...thats my only concern ...leaving my girl alone for 3 weeks at a time..... w/6cats..LOL.... we'll see how that goes down.....

8. Temptinfates

Apr 21, 2010
    Cartersville, Ga.
    It should be. You should really discuss that with her and make sure she is ok with it. Even truck drivers making good money have had their relationship ruined. That's why I say if she means alot to you, you should discuss it in detail with her. It;s hard out on the road, but sometimes it;s harder on your gal at home.

22 cents to start, but it goes up. The loads are usually long runs.

I'm not saying that CRST is the best thing since sliced bread, but I have seen worse. So far, they have done right by me-- as far as what they told me. I worked for another large company when I first started out and the DM would not help me get over 1800 miles a week. Not mentioning any names, but the trailers were yellow. Also, you would get a load for 1200 miles and they would route you to a terminal to have someone else run the load---yeah, that was better. seven days out for 250-300 a week. When I had enough, I got on with an LTL carrier making 600/wk home weekends and every day. Then I moved on from there. There are some worse gigs out there.

If you want to drive, hardly no one is going to start you out at top pay. This is my second time around paying my dues. This is not my first rodeo.

CRST is not perfect. No matter what OTR company you work for, you may have to wait on a load. For me, I am glad to get back into the trucking industry. I have tried to be fair and honest on my experiences with them.

You may not get 6000 miles a week. It all depends on freight and other factors. Remember it costs to live out there on the road as well.
    Temptinfates

fender211 Thanks this.
  9. fender211

fender211 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga
    would like to sit down and talk to someone who could tell me details,like where can I take a pee? or are we there yet?....LOL....just like what an average day would be ...not sure I could handle living (or trying to sleep) in such close quarters and being awake all day and having to drive all night? I read one of your post where you said you drove 10 hours straight...no way I could do that without stopping...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  10. Dawg Gone

Dawg Gone Bobtail Member

May 29, 2010
    great info temptin i have been asked to provide tax forms for the past three years did u have to do this and do you know why they need them if u did ?

11. Temptinfates

Apr 21, 2010
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Tax forms are to verify your employment.

As far as driving 10 hours straight, it's no problem for me. There are rest areas and truckstops where you can use facilities. But, even if I stop, it isn't but like 3-5 minutes and I'm back on the road. I prefer to get my driving time done in one shot.

As far as being up and having to drive? What can I say? It's a team operation. You sleep while your co-driver drives and vice versa. I can't change that. It is what it is.

Truck driving is not a glamorous job. It's not sitting in a cubicle. It has it's own rewards. Your government has stipulated that you can drive 11 hours then you need 10 hours sleep before you can drive 10 feet. That is why we try to drive straight shifts. It isn't for everyone.

Temptinfates

fender211 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.