CRST: Taking a refresher, then hitting the road

Discussion in 'CRST' started by Beans, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    Hi Im going to Cedar Rapids on Saturday to take a week long refresher course. I will then go to orientation and then out with a trainer for 28 days. I am confident that I will do well. I already know how to drive, just DOT regulations.

Any advice on refresher and what can I expect?

Thanks,

Also, do they have a grocery store near the motel?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road dust

road dust Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Beans, if you are still out there, would you reply and tell me your experience with the refresher?

4. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    Im still here; I am at the training center checking my email. The refresher is done by Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids.

All I have been doing is just driving. I was a little rusty on Monday. The training center was full, so they put me in a Howard Johnson's. The KCC shuttle van picks up at 530 am and I am done by 10am, which has been nice since I got a cold on that sorry bus trip.

If you are thinking about coming, tell them you want to fly. YOu will have to reimburse them the bus fare, housing, medical, and drug screen. I was upset when I was told I would be paying for my bus fare. I could have flown for about $50 more.

The refresher is $500, and you have to pay half up front.

Good luck to you. If you have any more questions, let me know.

5. road dust

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for the info. Wow, didn't know I would have to reimburse for the travel. That sucks. Is it all free time after 10am? Seems like a lot of wasted time. Since I have not driven since getting my cdl last year, I will need all the practice I can get -especially backing.

6. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Left Lane
    Good luck guys, I am just getting back on the road myself, after work as a carpenter for the last 5 years. Its tough to find a company that will hire you if you haven't been in the truck for a while. Most of them told me that all the time and miles I've driven safely dont mean squat since its not recent. Thats just the way its is now.

Anyway best of luck.

7. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    yes. After you get dropped off either at the motel or crst lodging, you are free.

8. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    I am taking my road test this morning around 11am. Tomorrow, I will have one day of orientation then off with my trainer. I think $500 was a little too much for about 8 hours of driving

9. road dust

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks, and best of luck to you too.

10. road dust

Jul 24, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    That is a little steep. I hope my muscle memory kicks in from the 3 weeks training I had last year. So, you are having orientation in Cedar Rapids? I understand I will have to go to OKC for a 4 day orientation after my refresher in Cedar Rapids. Keep me posted how it goes on the road with your trainer.

11. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    I am going to orientation this morning; I'm taking one day, then I am to go out with my trainer later today. I hope so. If he/she is in another state, I will have to take a rental to get there. NO BUS EVER AGAIN!!!

After 28 days, I will come back to CR to finish my orientation, then I can go back to Georgia for a break.

Will try to keep you informed as I go along life's highway:biggrin_25514:

judith1962, road dust and Bayou_baby Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.