CRST Van Expedited, Inc. - Cedar Rapids, Ia.?

Discussion in 'CRST' started by Dan, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Sparky1982

Sparky1982 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Jackson, MI
    Thanks for that report. My gf and I are going to be attending school for CRST in Romolous,MI in about 2 weeks. I was a bit nervous, but figured it was worth a go anyways. Glad to see someone from CRST posting here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckerjaw

truckerjaw Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I have been with CRST for 3 years now. If you are just trying to get your CDL go for it. If your looking to retire some wear then look else wear. No matter what you do you will get out of this what you make of it. You will have to stay out for a long time 2-3 months at a time and run your but off to earn their respect and get consistent good loads. I'm running a 550hp 70mph not the standard 435hp 65mph truck because I have proven myself but I now rescue air freight and other loads so I never have any time to relax. I'm trying to find another job mainly because I want to run solo and get my health in order. (more exercise, healthy eating).

About the only thing I know that the above posts have wrong is that you can run any 1500 watt inverter but you have to have CRST maintenance install it and at one point they where charging $150 for the install but people are telling me that it is free now.

4. Light Traveler

Light Traveler Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Somewhere out there...
    My buddy's cousin started at CRST. His trainer kept him out a whole month. Afterwards, he quit and never went back. Now he's in therapy. (true-story, so he says)

5. Alaskan

Alaskan Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Houston, Alaska
    Wow good thing he didn't go with Stevens; there you stay with the trainer for 5 weeks.

6. Sparky1982

Sparky1982 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Jackson, MI
    Staying out does not pose a big problem, we plan on saying out at least 6 weeks at a time. Its just that I do not want to get screwed over. We have both decided that no matter what, we will be sticking with them for at least the fulfillment of the contract. I talked to the recruiter today about the power inverters, and while he tried to answer the question, it did seem it had no clue.

7. Rcflyer65

Rcflyer65 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Winterville GA
    Hi, my first post on this forum, but had to put in my 2 cents, Dude understandable and probably normal to be nervous driving in Major cities. I am from NY, Drove a straight truck though all 5 bouroghs, just got my class a and moved to GA, Man I am hoping they send Me to NY, that my home I know all the cracks, but NYC is problably just as bad as say Philly, or chicago, I think it is good to be alittle nerous alot of low bridges and stuff like that, you have to pay attention to the signs, also that is what the maps and CB's are for. I had a cb in my 6 wheeler and I was helping out 18 wheelers all the time people looking for short cuts off the cross bronx or something similar, BTW unless it is manhattan no problem. also another little trick I do in the city. Swing over to the lane you want until the yellow cab slams on his breaks, after that you'll have plenty of room. I love the city :biggrin_25519:, I miss it already just be here in GA 2 months, Also going to the CRST for training, they said because I do not have over the road experience I have to go to the school. I am quessing philly and chicago are all the same, another point about NY, they do alot of check points, don't miss them, they really don't like that, best of luck, you'll do great, better than thinking NY is no problem and end up stuck under a overpass that only had 12' of clearance, or a try to get into the queens midtown tunnel :biggrin_25524: Then you'll have a little chat with the police officer when you set of the alarms off.

RC

8. Rcflyer65

Rcflyer65 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Winterville GA
    Sparky what facility are you going too? I am going to the cedar rapids, Starting june 23, unless thinks change, My dad is very ill, I am debating about making a trip to NY before, but if he is not well I may put off the school, as of now still looking at 6/23. would be could to know someone before I go, this whole 2 week course then 4 day oreintation then 28 days with "who know what" is alittle nervous, but whatever I have to do I will do, I did not sign the contract I am paying straight up.

RC

9. Rcflyer65

Rcflyer65 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Winterville GA
    Opps I should have read your earlier post, your going to MI, will best of luck maybe I will see you out there.

RC

10. ithinkican

ithinkican Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2008
    DES MOINES.IOWA
    NOW IT IS CEDAR RAPIDS SCHOOL of TRUCKING:biggrin_25525:

11. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I am in a situation where my wife and I want to team and the company I curently drive for has stopped hiring inexperienced drivers. I like Schneider and have a 18mo contract with them but I got to do what I got to do, you know. CRST might allow me to Train my wife after she gets her CDL from their school and we would only have to stay with them 8mo's. I have been with Schneider 8mo's and hate to leave before my contract is up but have to. What I would like to know is what they are like today? What is their Layover Pay, Detention Pay, Breakdown Pay, Lumper Pay policie and things like that. I don't have any problem taking loads, that is what I am out here for, to make money. How many miles are they giving their teams on average?

Thanks all,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.