Crude oil is $86 today.... beginning of the end?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by kogaFX, Oct 9, 2014.

1. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Which is what I'm banking on. I'm working in the Eagle ford. I'm at a site tonight running water from a site that was just fired up, turned on, opened whatever the proper term for that is.

Shamrock operators that work some of the Murphy sites have said they don't anticipate production slowing outside of the holiday lull. This is my first winter out here so I have no idea what the holiday lull is or how long it lasts.

Drivers that were here last year say it's busier this holiday than last year.

Basically if I can eek out another 6-12 months out of the oilfields I'll be happy. Longer if possible but if not I'm already scoping out local work in San Antonio that will pay decently. Fuel delivery most likely.

The bigger question is jump now and beat the potentially thousands of cdl holders that will be looking for work if things go bust.... Or stick it out and see if things turn around.

Lots to think about in the new year indeed.

unloader

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sexystuff911

sexystuff911 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    N. California
    The cost of living is high in the cities, but now that the recession is winding down and the housing market in recovery mode, jobs are paying a living wage. I live in a small farming community about 60 miles inland of San Francisco. The cost of living here isn't that high. Of course, I do have a 35-40 minute commute to work on the days I don't bring the truck home.

I make $2.00 less per hour than I was in North Dakota. But the fact that I'm only paying my mortgage here, not my mortgage PLUS rent in North Dakota, makes up for the difference in wages. My work truck (her name is "Cranky" because she's very temperamental) is a little ratty, but I love my job and the people I work with. Even better is they love me!

North Dakota was brutal. I guess I wasn't cut out for it, but at least I tried. I learned my limits, and I have a better understanding and greater appreciation for the work other drivers do. Yes, I failed in North Dakota. But the experience made me a better person! :biggrin_255:

Ben Gunn and cplmac2 Thank this.
  4. sexystuff911

sexystuff911 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    N. California
    What did I miss? Dang it! Guess I better thumb back a few pages!

5. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

well things still may be going in TX or other areas, but around here things are a changing...lol. i am no expert, dont claim to be. i can only go by what we see and are told...and no its not truck stop talk neither...lol

Chibob Thanks this.
  6. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    Are things slowing down that quickly in Hobbs? Keep us posted if you don't mind ...... it's useful information in all this uncertainty.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  7. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    I always thought the Central Valley would be a great place to live. You've got the Sierras on one side and the Pacific on the other. Plus a good Louie Salad and bowl of ciopinno is only an hour away. You've got me thinking ........

sexystuff911 Thanks this.
  8. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Things are slowing down in Central Wyoming... rigs are leaving, when they complete a pad. And the big drillers here have announced huge cuts to the drilling schedule for 2015... they are only going to drill the KNOWN production wells, no more deep exploratory wells.

9. Chibob

Chibob Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Columbia, Missouri
    I think water haulers will be busy for the time being. If the wells keep producing, water will have to be hauled off.

10. Rodeorowdy

Rodeorowdy Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Anchorage, AK.
    Wow! Exactly my job situation and the thoughts I'm anguishing over every day.
    I just can't decide...do I jump to that fuel delivery job now, or wait it out? A fuel truck job would be pretty secure, but then I would make half as much as I'm making now. Ugh

77fib77 Thanks this.
  11. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.