CSA 2010: How will the Driver Rating System affect you?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Yatista, Oct 18, 2009.

1. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Sorry, your also missing the point. The driver wrote up the the equipment deficiency's. The mechanic must sign off on the repairs. The driver shouldn't even be in the position to take the unrepaired equipment in the first place.

Then, the company tells the driver, take the trailer or we'll find someone else that will...

The repsponsibily of the driver should END, after the initial DVIR the driver filled out with the equipment problems. So, the driver shouldn't be put in the position of even having access to unrepaired equipment.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I've read about the "weighted" severity of infractions. I haven't found any examples of the math that leads to an "unfit" result. I've read page after page on methodology (yawn). Maybe there are just far too many variables. Does anyone know where a driver could find such a formula? And then "create" some scenarios and "plug in" some likely values, i.e., "I'll likely get "x" number of "y" infractions" and "I'll likely get "x" number of "z" infractions". This way, I think, a driver could self-evaluate, based on what they believe is likely to happen over a certain period of time. Could anyone help me think through this or point me in the right direction? CSA 2010 is going to be a way of life for all drivers, but for the wannabe Class of 2010, it's going to be all we know....we'll have had no prior experience with Safestat and the like.:biggrin_25514:

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I guess you don't know the regulations either . Before a driver moves a tractor or trailer he must see the DVIR AND put his signature on it accepting it . If he does that it becomes his responsibility . That's the way it works with professional drivers working for respectable companies .

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    This is the best I could come up with . http://www.csa2010.com/articles/DSMS_(Driver_Safety_Measurement_System)_Methodology.htm
    I think they haven't really determined what points will be given for what violations but I know points from violations in the last 6 months will be multiplied by 3 .

JustSonny Thanks this.
  6. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Thanks! I just now scanned the article you suggested. Just my luck it'll tell me more than the 97 pages about methodology I read from the FMCSA site. That would be like reading "War and Peace" then finding out it had been made into a movie!!:biggrin_25523:

7. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    I know the regulations just fine. In a 'perfect' world, ANY and ALL regulations would work and be fine.

I hate to break it to you, the world isn't perfect.

Some responsibilty for the repair should fall of the person making and signing off on the repair. The driver(perhaps also in a perfect world) should never be in the position to take the unrepaired trailer in the first place.

If self-righteousness is your game, and if 'professional drivers' working for 'respectable companies', ALWAYS follow ALL regulations... You sir, are a 'perfect' liar.

8. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I have come to the conclusion that you are just a miserable, little man that is only happy when you can put someone else down. Countless times you have insulted, maligned andput me and others down. While you have made some good points in some of your posts, overall, you prefer to attack others who dont agree with you. I almost feel sorry for you.

9. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Well-said! I couldnt have worded it better myself.
    Furthermore, in a perfect world, the tire wouldnt have been knocked out of alignment, which caused the uneven wear to begin with!

10. allycatt2

allycatt2 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I'VE BEEN EVERYWHERE
    Most drivers are clueless about csa2010,companys and drivers cannot run from their safety scores. Insurance companys are going to "have access to company and driver safety scores." Drivers and companys that can not play by the new rules will be backballed. New Drivers and Startup trucking Companys will find it very hard to make it for many reasons. The csa2010 culling process is happening as we speak. Most of the damage will be done in the next 24 to 36 months we are at the fork in the road. You will need a lawyer if you plan on keeping your safety record clean. csa2010 was written by lawyers for lawyers. The trucking Industry is being burned to the ground,someone call911.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    A driver is never in a position to take an unrepaired trailer . He is in a position to refuse a trailer where noted defects weren't repaired .
    When you boys get ticketed for mechanical defects explain to the DOT officer what an imperfect world it is then plan your next career move .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.