CSA put me out of buisness

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by bananajack, May 9, 2012.

1. monkeypuncher

monkeypuncher Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    dallas,tx
    Yes, TLea is right, I made the mistake of believing what my company told me...(I know, I should know better). But that makes it more of a mystery why the OP is being blackballed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    It's likely NOT the company that doesn't want to hire them. It's their insurance that will not take him on... Yes, insurance is looking at CSA scores. They are telling to company whom they may hire based on them. I suspect this is what is happening to the guy.

Onetruckpony Thanks this.
  4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Is this a Harvey thread .........?

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  5. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    No, they drop off completely, after 3 years.

Onetruckpony Thanks this.
  6. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Sounds like the A in CSA has got him :D

7. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'll buy that insurance companies care about CSA scores as it can show patterns of behavior. But if the story is true 40 years clean and 1 bad inspection, there is no way he's not being hired for that. The inspection he noted wasn't even that bad. There is more to this story, or maybe it's just pure fiction and wasn't very well thought out.

DrtyDiesel, 123456 and Onetruckpony Thank this.
  8. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Guess you don't understand how insurance companies are getting. They have a points criteria, and if a driver doesn't meet it... They will not be covered, period. If the driver cannot be covered, the company cannot hire them... it's really that simple. It's why many smaller company owners will now, not even tell a driver they are hired, without letting their insurance carrier know who they are, let 'THEM' check the drivers record... It's now what my boss does.

I know the inspection was not that bad, however the people in the insurance business are NOT in the trasportation business. In essense, points be points to them.

I'm almost certain that this is what is happening to the guy. I've seen something similar happen to a guy in our company about a year ago involving an overweight, log, and speeding violation on the same day. Insurance forced my boss to let him go, or they would revoke coverage. Boss argued with them for a couple of weeks about it, the guy was a good worker and he didn't want to let him go, but ultimately had to let him go.

9. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    CSA did not put the driver out the insurance company did due to the nanny state and sue happy society we now have.

vangtransport Thanks this.
  10. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Well if CSA was not collecting the data, then the insurance company couldn't base a drivers status on it either right?

This is the problem with, misuse of collected data

Case in point:

The book Bell Curve, uses intellegence test data taken from different ethic groups... The data when analyzed show a statisically significant difference in test performance of Caucasian when compaired to say Black people. The data they had, didn't lie... this is what it said. And one of the conclusions was that ancient Caucasian peoples had to also deal with freezing cold weather as well as animal dangers to survive thus, requiring them to have greater intellegence to survive. Which they passed this trait on to offspring.

Of course this was and is very controversial... AND ALSO VERY FALSE.

The data did not take into account the socio-econmic backround of all the test takers. People that are in poverty type situations are not given the same time and opportunity to develop their intellectual skills from an early age. Thus the test and data was biased to a certain economic class of people at that time.

So NO, Caucasains are NOT more intellegent than say black people. Even though, data seemed to show this...

My point? CSA is also collecting data that certainly can/could be misused in a similar way.

11. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Exactly my point. The insurance company is using the data that has always been there even before CSA. Are they using it correctly NO. Violations were always accessable to the insurance companys.

CSA did not change any laws, but is a new way to look at exsisting data, and an attempt to quantify that data.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.