CSA2010 and log book form and manner violations

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Mike_MD, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well..you're asking me (wife manages the bills....LOL) We pay for CITY pickup, I am not sure if WM has the contract for that or not
    Anyway, I did know of one OTHER small company doing trash pick-ups if you "get kicked off of City Trash", but they are really expensive and unreliable. Then there are the super-little guys that operate out of pick-ups, like the guy who lives across the street from me. $45 minimum pick-up fee.
    So realistically, you have just one choice....in MY neighborhood.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Brakes were mentioned a few post back. In reality, how many drivers even know if brakes are in spec or not, especially a new driver who has just gotten his first truck, and is busy learing how to drive.

How many can measure the brake stroke by themselves? Brakes can be fine, but a worn drum can make them look out of spec. Is a drum cracked, or just heat checked.

I have gotten into trucks and seen the same thing written up for several months, but never repaired. This was not something that would keep the truck from rolling, or considered dangerous, but a possible OOS anyway. I have written it up again on my log and inspection book, citing the chapter and verse of the DOT book.

Many mechanics NEVER sign off on repairs as a way to pretend the write up never happened.

UNLESS, and UNTIL, the repair shops are FORCED to repair trucks, the drivers will continue to receive the short end of the stick for companies that hire bad mechanics and refuse to spend money to repair their trucks.

25(2)+2, Markk9 and Wiseguywireless Thank this.
  4. Mike_MD

Mike_MD Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2009
    O-Zone

Basing a viewpoint on rumor and supposition tends to bring about panic. The rule has not been introduced regarding what the thresholds will be that move a driver or carrier from “continue to operate” to “marginal” to “unfit.” It will be important for the trucking industry to look for the notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) the first part of 2010 that explains in detail how CSA2010 will work.

Any time a new rule is introduced it has to be published and allow public comments for 90 days. Drivers and carriers may look for the NPRM at:

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#home

I’m sure other trucking news publications will announce when the NPRM is published so the trucking industry may speak their minds.

Reviewing the CSA2010 explanation having drugs in your possession is 10 points; whereas, form and manner violations are 2 points. Violating the 11/14 hour or 60/70 = 7 points and no log = 5 points. Based on the presentations I have attended the inspections stay on a driver’s/carrier’s record for three years. However, I’ve heard rumors of the duration for data being retained maybe shortened to ensure the permanent record reflects current inspection information.

Based on logs I have reviewed over the years I suspect some drivers may have problems as their penmanship is illegible, or the driver forgets to include all of the required information. I suspect carriers will start scrutinizing logs more carefully to catch mistakes and attempt to correct them before the carrier’s violation rate takes a blow from the driver’s lack of understanding or unwillingness to properly prepare a log. Drivers may be terminated by carriers regardless of whether they’re inspected or not as carriers will not accept the risk associated with drivers improperly preparing their logs.

I suspect the number of points for a driver to move from one category to the next will be fair based on the driver’s ability to learn from their mistake and move forward.

I would wait for the NPRM to be published and then finalize your conclusion. Without a NPRM explaining how the system works your supposition has no merit.

The DOT’s not interested in your money unless you consider loosing your job as having the DOT steal your hard earned money. Since 10/1999 I have prepared 160 carrier cases, 44 driver cases, 27 HM shipper cases, and 9 cargo tank repair facility cases looking back 2004 was the heaviest year for driver cases with 12 driver cases in one fiscal year (October 1, 2006 – September 30, 2007). The FMCSA reconsidered the driver’s culpability in regard to violating the regulations and decided driver management was the key; hence the change in the number of driver cases.

In addition to keeping the highways safe the FMCSA/US DOT have a mission to ensure the economy continues to grow and transportation by highway is effective; hence Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS). ITS include I-Pass, Pre-Pass and the Green Light Program. ITS is expanding to include bio-metric readers at rail yards with J-1 equipment inspections being done automatically by photographic images. Causing a severe shortage of qualified drivers is not the purpose of CSA 2010. CSA2010 is designed to remove the repeat offenders from the highways.

You’re being redundant in your anxiety (over-regulated/our gov’t); however, life is not a beach. The Constitution offers its citizens “life, liberty and pursuit of happiness”; however, it does not guarantee its citizens happiness. It is up to each one of us to find our path in life and find peace. The human emotion of greed amazes me sometimes; last night while watching “Deal or No Deal” I witnessed a young lady from Texas pass up an offer of $110,000 from the banker with only two suit cases left; one containing $1,000 and the other $200,000. The young lady had student loans and a 109 year old grandmother living at home. What she was thinking is beyond me as she ended up with the $1,000 suitcase I’m sure she was less than satisfied with her decision of passing on the $110,000.

I understand that we all enjoy the extras and often over extend our self financially. There is no guarantee drivers will ever be paid as much as they think they’re worth. I can tell you now drivers paid hourly cheat on their HOS just like the drivers paid by the mile. Everyone wants more money.

TD you have to stop jumping to conclusions, the only fact you know is points are being accessed for log form and manner violations. You have no clue of how many points will lead to what for how long:

The serenity prayer works wonders for me; you may want to take a deep breath and learn to exhale.

My purpose here is education and to try and dispel some of the rumors flying at warp speed. Knowledge is the key no supposition. Failing to use facts causes people to make un-informed decisions and jump to conclusions that are less than factual.

I suppose it all goes to perception. Personally I hated the condescending speeches about safety before each three day weekend and the speech on responsibility offered to the entire company when one or two people screwed up. The first sergeant’s last words were always; “If the shoe fits wear it; otherwise disregard.”

Suppose it’s time you seek better employment and locate a job you’re content with.

Driving a truck is a personal choice, you have to make it work, it’s better to have a job you’re happy at making less money than working a job you’re miserable at.

I find it amazing that drivers get bent out of shape when the 1% of bad drivers is used to measure all drivers; however, they automatically compare all LEO to the one they met that reportedly wrote them a ticket for doing nothing wrong.

I do 32 Level 1 inspections each year to remain qualified. I do driver credential checks at the rail yards each quarter which usually results in about 120 additional contacts each year. I have not written a ticket since about October 1999 when I worked for the State of Colorado. I can honestly say I’ve never written a ticket a driver didn’t earn.

As a real OTR driver from 1992 – 1996 I never received a ticket I didn’t deserve. One for 65 in a 55 near Tucumcari, NM and one for 10.25 hours for the day and 72 hours for the week in Limon, CO with a HM load. The amazing thing was I told dispatch about the possibility of the OOS before I left Denton, TX. I told dispatch it was more than 10 hours from Denton, TX to Denver, CO and I was short on hours. Dispatch reassured me they would take care of any problems encountered. On Monday I took the $34.00 ticket to Safety and said here’s your ticket. Safety said; “Well Mike we cannot take care of this.” Okay, don’t ever ask me to haul a hot load again. That was my first year of driving and the last hot load I ever took.

Intestinal fortitude works wonders with the mind set to keep trying no matter how helpless the situation seems. The best driving job I had was with Weather Shield Transportation out of Medford, WI. In 1994 I was making .34 cents a mile and $10 a stop for all stops. I made almost as much in stop lay as I did in mileage pay. Not the best job, but a #### site better than any other trucking company I ever worked for.

I disagree, since no NPRM has been posted to explain how the system works Brickman has made an uninformed decision with no facts to base his comments on.

I doubt you’ve had much if any exposure to federal inspectors; therefore, your reasoning is impaired as you have no hard data to offer for comparison. Again CSA2010 is a federal enforcement tool not a state roadside tool.

There are two requirements in the FMCSR for inspectors:

Note drivers with a CDL may inspect, but not repair brakes.

Only mechanics and brake inspectors employed by the motor carrier are regulated. All others is a matter of buyer beware. If carriers do not use reputable shops then they are accepting a degree of the risk. The cheapest is not always the best.

As mentioned, I haven’t written a ticket since 2007. My job is to investigate the violation and send the Notice of Warning for the violations discovered. It is the roadside officer’s job to cite the driver/carrier for the violation/s.

I will wait until the final rule is published before I make any judgment on the ethics of the rule making.

Be safe.

Yatista Thanks this.
  5. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    So when are us drivers as a group going to tell the government,DOT,FMCSA, all these politicians, and special interest lobbyist to shove it up their arse?

Let me get this straight, I forget a #, or write something a little sloppy, or drew a crooked line on my logbook and that is a safety violation because I'm fatigued? WTF! Who is the ####### moron that came up with this ####? What's next, I will get a violation because I have bugs splattered on my window so it's unsafe to drive I might not see something in front of me?

Mike you really can't set here and expect a veteran driver to actually believe this bullshizz your trying to sell can you?

Rocks and 2fuzy Thank this.
  6. Mike_MD

Mike_MD Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2009
    O-Zone
    Like it or not fatigue causes mistakes. If you've driven for 10 years you should know what's required on the log like you know the back of your hand. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is your too tired to remember.

The point being drivers will have to start being concisous of their activites to include pre-trip inspections, load securement and their logs to avoid accumulating points and lossing their ability to drive.

CSA 2010 is not optional; therefore, there's nothing to sell. Either drivers start getting it right or they face sanctions.

Drivers that change companies like they change their shoes will be the hardest hit as their history will follow them from carrier to carrier having an impact on any carrier that employs them; whereas, once a carrier hires a driver they inherit the driver's score.

As I mentioned before, education and knowledge is the key. Either drivers start taking care of business correctly or their roadside inspections will haunt them.

Be safe.

7. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    "Correlation does not imply causation."

8. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    "If your only tool is a hammer, you'll see every problem as a nail."

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Just let all these walking wonders keep on regulating drivers. When there is no one left to deliver the goods and a gallon of milk costs you 15 bucks just remember why all the drivers finally got sick of it and then see what happens to this Country.

GuysLady, Rocks and Wiseguywireless Thank this.
  10. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    The bad part of this, is they want the American driver out and the mexican or who ever, for cheaper labor.

This is going to be a weeding out of the small companies and O/O.

Mark

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I really do not see the Mexican driver being very good at these new rules.

It is just a further way the companies will be able to pass the problem to the driver.

The tire is bad, you might get put out of service. Driver knows it, company refuses to change it. Catch 22.

Wiseguywireless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.