Cummins complete failure just after truck purchase.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Daffs26, Sep 28, 2018.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I would check to see that engine has extended warranty . I am talking about 500k extended warranty. I know cases when freightliner has changed the engine due this kind of failure. Go to Volvo dealer and check to see that truck has extended warranty or not.

laaylor, Oldironfan and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I have seen this engine fail in this manner even after the plunger and tappet up fit and the oil bypass valve update. Sometimes the damage is already done and takes a while to show up later.

Put in a new running complete engine with a warranty and get back to work. Sort it out later. The truck will be down 3 times as long if you wait to sort through the politics. Just what I would do.

If you are a second or third owner with no factory warranty it is unlikely you will get help from Cummins, but you may get help from the dealer you bought it from, depends.........

Justrucking2, fargonaz and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    We have a CM2250 ISX in the shop right now due to the same fuel pump failure. It’s not metal, it’s ceramic material from the pistons in the transfer pump. Anything in the engine with a pressure fed bearing will be destroyed. You don’t even have a rebuildable core at this point. Find an engine, lots of used ISX’s around.

Oxbow, fargonaz and Oldironfan Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Cummins out to be sued in a class action.
    @Daffs26 you need to talk to @Justrucking2 he can tear his own isx apart and out iy back together. He may give a reputable shop out near California. The isx is very particular engine design, with some very bad parts that fail way to easily.

Justrucking2 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Cummins has had nothing but issues with its ISX engines.Between the EGR valve issues,the turbos failing and the cylinder liners getting scored The engines are quickly becoming glorified boat anchors!

Oldironfan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I'm done with online know it all diesel mechanics .
    Having mine overhauled and updated .

8. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Considering there are more cummins in trucks than any other engine, it makes sense that they would have more defects.

I'm not making excuses for cummins.

Oldironfan, x1Heavy and bzinger Thank this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I didn't pay much for the truck and expected to overhaul it to begin with by 700k .
    Is what is. ...rest of the truck is stellar .

10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    We used to have a lot of Freightliner Cascadias with the Cummins engines but most of them have been retired and replaced by Detroit powered trucks now. The KW and some of the Volvos are still Cummins powered though(mix of ISX and X15 power units).

Oldironfan, x1Heavy and fargonaz Thank this.
  11. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    How much of that is choice and how much availability? I hear the 1 - 2 punch freightliner/dd is pretty hard to come by right now(new.)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.