Cummins complete failure just after truck purchase.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Daffs26, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    But do the pumps still fail? Forty thousand may be worse, but three thousand is still pretty bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The X15 engine still utilizes the same pump as the CM2150-2350 engines on its economy series. Same pump with the titanium plungers and revised tappets. The performance series X15 utlizes a new design nextgen fuel pump. The main way to tell these apart is on the new pump the pumping chambers have 2 separate lines that feed the common rail. The old pump has just the one supply line to the fuel rail and appearance wise is physically the same as the previous pump. Both pumps are lubricated by engine oil for the fuel pump crankcase. I have seen 0 issues with the new pump thus far.

While these engines had parts issues and common failures that surely could have been better. Alot of these failures are accelerated and can be traced back to pure neglect or lack of oil services at the proper interval. The main issue here was the oil bypass valve design allowing the metal and debris to go directly to #4 main bearing without getting trapped in the filter first. With that most of these catastrophic engine failures would have been just failed fuel pumps.

Hegemeister, Oxbow, mhyn and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Yes, the pumps are still failing. I do not know of one failing in the new X15, but it is the same pump that goes on the CM-2250 and CM-2350. The X15 is essentially a CM-2350 with the upgraded oil circuit to keep the fuel pump shrapnel out of the oil. Higher compression too, on the motor side.

On edit: Goodysnap has a handle on this, see his post above. Same info I have heard, other than the new design of the fuel pump on the non economy X15.

Oldironfan and Goodysnap Thank this.
  5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Detroit comes from the same parent company as freightliner is all I was referring to.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    if liner's protrusion is in spec range you don't need machining and installing oversize shims.

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Don't be a fool, machine the block, protrusion or not. You are playing with fire, an in frame is $28,000 on average, plus your down time, machine the block and do it right. Been through that, 70,000 miles the liner cut lose. Protrusions were within spec.

8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    what do you mean by saying machine the block ? you mean counterbores correct?

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Checking liner protrusion on my motor...

IMG_1135.jpg

Machining the block, cutting the ledge the liner sits on... Counterbore

IMG_1169.jpg

This is my motor, two years almost to the day after the first in frame. I told the original shop to cut the liner ledges (Machine the Block) and set the protrusions to 14 thousandths of an inch. They told me they did, but did not. I later spoke with the mechanic that did that first in frame and he stated the protrusions were within spec so this procedure was skipped. Here are the results.

Coolant.jpg

Head.jpg

Do it right the first time. Don't be a victim. All photos are of my motor. We found many skipped steps when we tore the motor down. It was not pretty. This was originally done at a dealership, certified Cummins mechanics. They go to class regularly down in Indiana. Apparently they are not teaching these guys properly.

10. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    the cummins workshop manual says if protrusion is in range and sitting surfaces are clean no need machining...

11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I know, I used the manual to rebuild my motor. ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.