Cummins complete failure just after truck purchase.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Daffs26, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Bottom line, skipping this step originally led to my engine failure. Sometimes the manual is not always correct. In this case, and having spent time in one of the busiest Cummins in frame shops in the country, I am not the only one that believes this, and I have the photos to prove it. Why gamble?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    oversized shims that you installed are made of brass or steel ? I have never done inframe on isx .

4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    .020, brass. .030 is the next step up, custom shims are available too.

mhyn Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I thank you for your concern sir .
    I'm having it done for oil consumption and carbon packing issues and I want it done by my tech at home who has rebuilt many with no issues .
    And I want it done on my terms at home as a planned inframe instead of 1200 miles from home with people I don't know when it blows up .
    My terms and my schedule .

mhyn, spsauerland and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Good deal, I just do not want to see anyone go through what I just did. Most guys would be out of business and or worse with the nightmare I had to face. I't's not rocket science, it is just that so few "mechanics" give a crap about their workmanship. Pretty sad in my book.

Good luck with that in frame! Some words of advice, put this in the back of your head for when the day comes...

Machine the block and shim, set liner protrusions to .014, make sure he uses the Loc-Tite 609 on the cam gears, lots of Ultra Slick when assembling the bearings and pre-charge the motor with oil prior to starting. Do those things, and if everything else is done properly and torqued to specs, you should have a winner. And when he sets the head, let it sit overnight and then do the final torque. Use new head bolts, as they are stretch bolts, one time use.

Oh, only use Cummins OEM parts, and the heads are one time use, install a new one, do not use a reman or Chinesium parts.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.