Cummins Engine ISX 475 , 920000miles, oil pressure 38psi at warm prior to changing the main and rod

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by snejana73, May 8, 2016.

1. snejana73

snejana73 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Cummins Engine ISX 475 , 920000miles, oil pressure 38psi at warm prior to changing the main and rod bearings. Decided to change main and rod bearings to increase the life of the engine.

After the bearings were replaced oil pressure went down to 28 ( noticed this as soon as I took the truck from the shop). Truck is running only Midwest , no hills no heavy freights

I called the shop the same day but was told to run it like this for awhile and if the problem does not go away I can go back. After driving the truck for 9000 miles, I decided to change the oil and all filters hoping that the pressure will come back . Unfortunately this did not happen at all.

Now the shop does not want to fix the truck telling me that its not their fault .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    ...when they did the rods and mains, they should have offered to replace the oil pump. It's pretty standard to do so, as you're dropping the pan and getting in there, anyway. If the oil pump has never been replaced in 920,000 miles, you're overdue for doing so by about 120,000 miles. Check the oil pressure sensor, first, though. They go bad, and usually do so before the mileage you already have. Still, you're gambling pretty badly not having a new oil pump at that mileage.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. snejana73

snejana73 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Shop did not change oil pump because it was ok.( Never been asked if I wanted a new oil pump , however was charged $210 to remove the oil pump) I was also told that the original bearings were ok no wear....but anyway they changed it.I spoke with Cummins Customer Service on 05/06/2015 , JX Peterbilt , and couple of more mechanics , some of them told me that the problem is most likely the oil pump , but as I said I did not have a problem with the oil pressure prior to changing the bearings.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Sipesh

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    It may be just coincidence, but no, that pump should have been changed at that mileage. They can't tell if it's okay by looking at the outside of it. They're made of aluminum, and cavitate on the inside.

6. snejana73

snejana73 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    If its not an oil pump , is it possible that they did not do the bearings correctly thats why the oil pressure went down instead of up . I am just trying to figure it out , since the shop does not want to take responsibilities .

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. snejana73

snejana73 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012

8. snejana73

snejana73 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    When I called the shop, I told them that even after driver 9000 miles and changing the oil the oil pressure did not go up. The guy statement was: What do you expect your truck has a 1000000 miles on it. He was very rude , did not let me talk to the owner or the mechanic who worked on my truck. He also said: You did not changed the oil pump...........but his statement was different prior to taking the truck from the shop .......He told me that the oil pump was ok thats why they did not changed it ........
    Someone did mention to me that maybe that shop did not put back the oil pump correctly.
    I am so upset because, I spent good amount of money for this repair ...........trying to extend the life of the engine ( even though I did not have any problems )

9. Sipesh

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    An oil pump with a million miles on it could, conceivably, fail after being removed and remounted, even if the shop did everything fine. A million miles is just WAY BEYOND that part's life expectancy. I had bearings and oil pump done on my truck, all told it was what, $2800? I know you want to find blame with someone for this, but there's a 99% likelihood the oil pump is simply shot. Put on incorrectly? Doubtful. And if the bearings were done badly enough to jack up your oil pressure like that, you'd know pretty quick it was running wrong-very wrong. Look, I don't know the shop, and I know people like to find a reason for things and assign blame, but seriously, that's just WAY TOO many miles for an oil pump. It has to be changed, regardless, or you will destroy your engine... that's a $30,000 rebuild on that Cummins... or replace the oil pump. Of course, you're within a few hundred thousand miles, at best, of a rebuild, anyway.

10. snejana73

snejana73 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thank you
    The job has to be redone ................which a good shop will not let it happen.

11. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    well there is a possibility they did not shim the oil pump correctly but either way that's a pretty good drop on oil psi even for that. If they did not do the bearings properly the engine would lock up if someone messed something up that bad. i do wonder if they maybe forgot to tight something to proper torque. but either way like Sipesh stated usually everytime i do this job i always suggest and install a new oil pump it's not worth it to me not to do so and have the truck have a problem down the road and the labor is already paid for anyway so little difference is it going to make most people are happy with just having to pay for parts and no labor

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.