Cummins insite

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gokiddogo, Dec 15, 2016.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    How do I go about getting insite for my laptop to bring on the road with me? Is it free? One time cost to buy? I would like to have it in advance of any possible codes with my isx. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Also need to know where to buy the hardware to connect it to the truck. It is a 2016 389 with 2015 isx. The idea is to keep ahead of any maintenance issues that may arise with the emissions systems with help from Rawze's videos. One time cost? I would also like to be able to change some of the speed limiter/rewards settings and see if the upper droop/lower droop may actually save some fuel. In other words I would like to have more access to inside the ecm than what the bully dog hdgt provides.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What kind of mileage do you get with that big dude?

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No it isn't free, it costs a good amount of money and the interface is not cheap.

There are a bunch of Chinese rip offs that you can buy, with pirated software if you want to get into it cheap but I was warned a while ago that if cummins does work on your engine and there is something wrong with it because of the software you use, no warranty - voided.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Duh, I keep skippin school and this is what happens...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  6. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Pulling reefer usually 75 to 80k most of the time from Ontario and western usa/Canada averaging 5.5 and governed to 65. Ontario to nj and in between average in low 6s.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Didn't learn your lesson the last go round ...?

Best of luck :)

It's more than a 1 time fee.... Yearly or maybe monthly....

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  8. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    After watching a whole lot of rawze's videos I have renewed faith. So far (knock on wood) it has not been problematic and eventually I had to upgrade my old truck. Plus I got a very good price on a 389 the first owner could not meet the payments and the finance company didn't want to hold it forever. So much more comfortable for otr driving.

Dave_in_AZ and fargonaz Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Everyone I've spoken to lately at shippers / receivers, mostly newer ( 13 & up ) KW's ( 680's ) with Cummins or Paccar's have reported very few problems, and nothing earth shattering. The common link seems to be 13 & up, they seem to have sorted out a lot of bugs.
    I think they would be an actual nicer riding truck than a Cascadia, but the only detraction is they don't seem to squeeze fuel like a Cascadia.
    My Volvo averaged like 6.2. The Cascadia was always around 7, but I also had no APU on the Volvo, and imagine you idle rather than freeze to death as I did.
    I spent entire weekends watching the RAWZE series lol, like you.
    What truly scared me was I did speak to a few guys that put BIG money into some used Pete's, even from RUSH, cause the entire DPF/EGR/DEF system was fried. But it seems 13' is the magic year.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yep that's pretty much my findings.
    I have a bunk heater and haven't had to idle overnight yet. I bought it in August and was running Ontario to nj/pa and with the side sliding window and front windows down a few inches and a fan it makes for comfortable enough sleeping. I know idling is the fastest way to screw up the emissions stuff. It does cost more in payments than my old fl was in repairs, but it should have much better resale at its approximate half life when the payments end. All in all I love driving it. Finally get a little respect lol

20 Mule Team and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.