Cummins ISX 400HP up to 475HP

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MOC, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Harley2e

Harley2e Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2016

Who would be the best on isx 400
    Up to 500hp

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Here’s what I recommend...

One hand told you NOT to go to Cummins or to the dealer. He told you correct. They have to put a government approved engine tune in. Basically, it’s you wasting $1000 on an engine tune. Instead, get your engine serial number off the side of the engine and call places like Performance Diesel or PittsburghPower and tell them you engine serial number. They will be able to tell you how far you can safely go.

I made the mistake of going to the Diesel Doctor in Effingham and went with a 550 tune from 475. She pulled like a raped ape, HOWEVER, I ended up cooking the engine on a long pull. Rebuild. Cook. Rebuild. Cook. Couldn’t figure it out. Met Bruce Mallinson in Iowa and he told me that the farthest they could safely turn my engine up was 485, because the factory turbo was designed to spool up really quickly, but big boost would make it run too hot of an EGT and I would cook the engine. I would have never figured that out. Thing is, he knew what I needed to know just by the engine serial number. So, before you start jacking around with the ECM, make sure you can do it safely. And save a buttload of cash.

alds, ABadAzzPete and Harley2e Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Well, I was trying to EDIT my last post. I didn’t mean to make it sound as if the DieselDoc didn’t know what he was doing. It wasn’t his fault, it was mine. He did what I told him to do. And I was the one that kept my foot in it hillclimbing and burned the pistons. All I am saying is, before you go to a Diesel Doc, make sure your setup can handle the tune you’re asking for.

ABadAzzPete, Tug Toy and Harley2e Thank this.
  5. 9900RedBull

9900RedBull Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2020
    I have an 05 manufactured 475hp ISX in an 06 9900i, got 1.4 million miles on it no internal work done on it ALL ORIGINAL. Bent and cut a valve and now I'm doing a full rebuild. My mechanic said if I wanna go above 500 we gotta get the right inframe kit upgrade the injectors and turbo to be on the safe side based on the CPL (CRITICAL PARTS LIST). Really considering it since it's already pulled all the way down... Any thoughts or advice guys?

6. 2013Maxx

2013Maxx Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    How did you make out? Ever got it tuned? I’m running a 510hp tune on my MF13 ProStar. She runs good..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.